Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Song plays not registering on iPhone 4

I have had my iPhone 4 and haven't had any problems with it until recently. For some reason the phone stop registering song plays. I have listened to hundreds of songs, many of which are from band recently added to iTunes, yet none of the plays are showing up. I have new cds that I have listened to all the way through a dozen times in the past few weeks that show every song as have zero plays. My recently played smart playlist shows only songs that I have listened to while my iPhone has been connected to my laptop. I use Last.fm and I am unable to sync any of my songs because my iPhone doesn't show me as having listening to anything since the 24th of December. Around that time I messed with the syncronization of the iPhone when I was trying to get music I had on a different computer onto the iPhone and it wasn't allowing me to, I switched it to manually manage and it seems as though ever since song plays are not recorded.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks for any and all help.

iPhone 4, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 7:34 PM

16 replies

Feb 12, 2013 10:46 PM in response to GuiltyVerdicts

Make a "Recently Played" smart playlist directly on the iPhone (while connected to iTunes of course), use "Last Played Is In The Last 14 Days" as the criteria. If it populates as it should, then you can Scrobble to Last.fm ... if I recall, if you manually manage the process is slightly different. Maybe check on the Last.fm forum for Scrobbling.

Feb 13, 2013 7:05 AM in response to GuiltyVerdicts

Just re-read your post ... are you certain that the playcounts on the iPhone are not updating? If so, are you playing music from the native iOS Music app on the iPhone, or a 3rd party player (e.g. Bongiovi, Album Mixer, etc.)? If you're using something other than than the native Music app player for the songs on your iPhone, some of those won't update play history.

Also, there Last.fm released an updated Scrobbler app that will let you play music that is on your iPhone or iPad, and do live scrobbling (as long as you have an internet connection). I played around with it yesterday and it will update play history on the device, as well as live scrobble.

Feb 13, 2013 9:44 AM in response to GregMac1213

A couple clarifications ...

Greg you're right about manually managing an iPod, under manual management any play history or rating changes from the iPod don't update your library. However, there was a time when the iPhone behaved differently such that plays and rating changes would register with iTunes even if you were manually managing. There is a thread somewhere around here on how this changed such that the iPhone behaves like the iPods do (either an iOS or iTunes update about a year ago changed this).

In any case, even under manual management the playcounts on the device itself should increment, that's always been the case for iPods and all other devices. If this is not happening, then perhaps an iOS and/or iTunes update changed that behavior. I refuse to manually manage, so I don't know if this is a bug or if the OP's device needs to be Reset or Restored to correct this.

Song plays not registering on iPhone 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.