Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

java failed after updated

osx10.8.2, safari6.0.2

safari preference set java enabled

After update to latest java version, it was blocked in safari due to requiring a new update.

Tried to remove cache, reinstall java as java website suggested, but still failed in safari.

Any solution?

MacBook Air, iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 9:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2013 5:36 AM

For more on this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4695128?tstart=0

Use Firefox until this issue is resolved.

6 replies

Jan 11, 2013 6:37 AM in response to dominic23

I succeeded to restore Apple Java SE6 earlier, but failed now and are finding the cause.

I will not use Firefox since no experience w/ it before.

I also tried several times to report it to Java, but failed in final submit step due to

The server encountered an internal error (This application is not currently available) that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

If you will, please do me a favor to try to report this issue to Java.

http://bugreport.sun.com/bugreport/main.jsp

Jan 11, 2013 9:24 PM in response to feng qin

There are a couple of options, but you have to weigh them against the risks. The reason for the change was to protect users, afterall.

One option is to use some of the online hints to go back to Java 6 - that is a horrific idea and puts your system at the greatest risk.

Another option is to manually modify XProtect in Safari to accept the 1.7.10r18 version as valid. This is also risky because there are active exploits in the wild for this version of Java. I'm not sure how often XProtect does its thing, but, if you manually modify the plist, you may have to do so repeatedly.

You can also run the developer version of Java, which is 1.7.12 - I don't believe this has a *fix* for the exploit that is currently being used, but, it will fool Safari into thinking you are running a newer version thatn 1.7.10r18.

Your final option is to wait. Oracle will likely update soon. If you really need Java, you can probably use Firefox and 1.7.10r18, but you still are running a risk of having your system compromised.

java failed after updated

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.