Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Objective-C for Noobs

Last night I decided to learn a little Objective-C. I've had a bit of expierence with HTML,XHTML and HTML 5 previously on http://www.w3schools.com/ . Being able to expieriment on the site really taught me alot. However, W3 schools does not offer an interactive tutorial for Objective-C. Thoughts....Suggestions...of course I'm not entirely sure that I know what I am asking.

....Thinking IMacTouch.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 5:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 6:35 PM

You might start in theMac (or IOS) Developer Library

Specifically look at Programming with Objective-C for an introduction. You could look at iTunes U for some courses as well as iBooks.

If you're near a Community College you might want to look to see if there are any intro to programming courses offered.

One of the bigger hurdles will be getting comfortable with Xcode. It is really a great programming environment, Apple really nailed it with version 4.5 but it will take some getting use to. It's not like just opening an editor and entering code there will be a learning curve. Unfortunately there have been so many changes to Xcode over the years it is hard to find any good 3rd part documentation for it. Mastering Xcode 4 by Joshua Nozzi is not bad. It is for 4 but a few minor versions old so while it;s close there are differences. It might be worth a look.

One of the great strengths of a system like Xcode, an IDE (Integrated Development Environment) is that is is (in a way) self documenting. When you open Xcode if you look in the upper right hand side of the Xcode window you will see an icon labeled Organizer. Clicking that will open the help and documentation window

User uploaded file

from there you can find help for Xcode as well as Objective-C.

Good luck

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2013 6:35 PM in response to Benjamin2102

You might start in theMac (or IOS) Developer Library

Specifically look at Programming with Objective-C for an introduction. You could look at iTunes U for some courses as well as iBooks.

If you're near a Community College you might want to look to see if there are any intro to programming courses offered.

One of the bigger hurdles will be getting comfortable with Xcode. It is really a great programming environment, Apple really nailed it with version 4.5 but it will take some getting use to. It's not like just opening an editor and entering code there will be a learning curve. Unfortunately there have been so many changes to Xcode over the years it is hard to find any good 3rd part documentation for it. Mastering Xcode 4 by Joshua Nozzi is not bad. It is for 4 but a few minor versions old so while it;s close there are differences. It might be worth a look.

One of the great strengths of a system like Xcode, an IDE (Integrated Development Environment) is that is is (in a way) self documenting. When you open Xcode if you look in the upper right hand side of the Xcode window you will see an icon labeled Organizer. Clicking that will open the help and documentation window

User uploaded file

from there you can find help for Xcode as well as Objective-C.

Good luck

Jan 14, 2013 7:16 PM in response to Benjamin2102

An you;re on SL, yes that will cause some bumps.

If you can see your way ti upgrading to ML (if your hardware supports it) it would be worthwhile just so you can start out with the current version of Xcode.

As for the registering for the developer program, you can access a good deal of the documentation with the free developer registration. All the links I sent can be accessed with the free program (maybe even without)

The paid developer program will be necessary when you advance to wanting to put things in the App Store (there are other reasons to join but this is the one most people do it for). At that point you need to decide if you are doing OS X or IOS development.

again good luck

regards

+1 What Michael wrote

Message was edited by: Frank Caggiano

Objective-C for Noobs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.