Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When does a developer need to pay Apple? (App on App Store)

If I was to create an app for the app store (a hotel comparison app, for example) in which a user can check for a product and then be linked directly to the appropriate site (i.e the hotel) or third party (i.e paypal) for billing purposes - as the app itself is not directly dealing with money transactions - would I still be liable to make additional payments to Apple?

I'm new to this and doing research for my boss, and I've so far understood that we would need to be $99 to join the iOS development program but I cannot seem to find any information about what other charges we were likely to incur should we create an app.

So for example:

Customer downloads the app (more than likely it would be a free app)

Customer uses it to search for (as an example, cheapest hotels in an area).

Customer can view information about the hotel and then should they choose to make a booking, the app then links to an external website (either directly to the hotel or integrate, somehow, with the hotels internal payment system) in which to complete the transaction.

So whilst the app would not physically process payments - would there be any limitations?

If you understand what i'm saying...

For the record, i'm not making a hotel comparision app - it's just an example!

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 9:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 9:43 AM

You only pay Apple $99/yearly.

There's no other charges.

10 replies

Jan 15, 2013 10:00 AM in response to Michael Black

Well this is why i'm confused - because the service we want to provide doesn't require the need for "In-App" purchases in the sense that most people think of In-App purchases. The idea is that I open the app, compare deals and prices on something and then when I click on the "book now" for example - it takes me to the actual site to make payment. The transactions are not handled by the app - the app is purely a resource. But as I understand, any app that has in-app payments are subject to the 70/30 split with apple - but as we are not directly taking payment - I wanted to know whether that was still applicable - but it would now seem that it's not possible to develop an app that redirects a customer to make payment - is that correct?

Jan 15, 2013 10:02 AM in response to davidfromfarnham

You might want to read the App Store Quick Reference

What you are looking to do is not allowed at least by my reading of the allowable uses for in-app purchases. But your best bet is to contact Apple to get a definitive answer. Basing a business model on the replies to this from JABOU (just a bunch of users) is probably a bad idea 😉

Jan 15, 2013 10:04 AM in response to davidfromfarnham

That is my understanding (and why B&N, Amazon and others had to pull their apps at one point). The terms of use for developers limits any in-app redirection for purchases or payments to the iTunes store only.

You could develop a web app that does the kind of thing you are talking about though - see "Getting started with iOS Web Apps" in the Safari developer library resource.

When does a developer need to pay Apple? (App on App Store)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.