Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

when setting up my icloud mail i accidently pressed dont merge instead of merge. can i still merge them and if i can how do i do it?

When setting up my icloud mail I accidently pressed dont merge instead of merge. Can I still merge them and if I can, how do I do it. I am a complete novice at this type of technology so any help is greatly appreciated!!

iPhone 4, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 8:06 PM

9 replies

Jan 15, 2013 8:53 PM in response to CRAnnie

You could try going to Settings>iCloud, turning Mail to Off, then back to On again but I'm not sure you'll get another Merge prompt. If not, you would have to start over with a new iCloud account again. But I don't believe doing so will sync your iCloud account with your Yahoo email; iCloud only syncs your iCloud email. (I assume the merge option would only upload your existing email to your iCloud account, not continue to import new email from this account.)

If you want to have both accounts on your phone, just leave the Yahoo account in place. You can view both inboxes by going opening Mail, tapping the account name on the top left, then tapping All Inboxes. Or if you want to migrate to just using iCloud email, set up your Yahoo account to forward all incoming email to your iCloud address, and just use your iCloud email.

Jan 15, 2013 9:09 PM in response to CRAnnie

You're welcome, but just so you know, iCloud doesn't really sync email. When you check your email you are looking at it directly on iCloud's server, whether you check from your phone, your computer or any other device.

If you want to get your Yahoo email on your computer you should be able to set up your Yahoo account on whatever email program you are using on your computer. For example, if you have Windows 7 you would add the account to the Windows Mail program. Unfortunately, unless something has changed, Yahoo email is a POP email account so changes you make on your phone will not be reflected on your computer. This is only a feature supported by IMAP accounts (such as iCloud or Gmail) or Exchange accounts (such as most work email accounts).

Jan 15, 2013 9:28 PM in response to randers4

'I apologize for my lack of knowledge. I have windows 8 and have had my yahoo accts for years so don't really see the point of having icloud mail. I DO have a gmail account in addition to my yahoos that is kind of a junk acct. Have only worked with MS in the past but purchased an iphone4 a while back and thought I could do more between phone and LT! SO...what about my music and pictures? Or should I just pretend I that icloud doesn't exist for me?

Jan 15, 2013 9:43 PM in response to CRAnnie

No problem. If you sync your computer with your iCloud account, you can sync iCloud email, contacts, calendars and tasks with Outlook 2007 or higher; as well as your bookmarks with internet explorer and your photo stream photos. This will keep this data on your phone in sync with your computer. This guide shows how to set this up: http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/pc.html.

To enable photo stream, go to Settings>iCloud on your phone and turn it on. After that, when you take a photo on your phone, the next time it is connected to wifi with the camera app closed and has at least 20% battery life remaining, it will upload the photo to photo stream and the photo will be streamed to your computer if you are syncing it with your iCloud account.

Music is only synced with iCloud if you subscribe to iTunes Match. If you do, the music in your iTunes library (up to 25,000 songs) on your computer will be made available to download to your phone over iCloud without having to sync or store it on your phone.

You can also automatically back up your device to iCloud every 24 hours when it is connected to wifi and your charger. To enable this, go to Settings>iCloud>Storage & Backup and turn it on at the bottom.

Jan 15, 2013 10:01 PM in response to randers4

I can't begin to thank you for all of your assistance without making me feel like an idiot. (yeah I know there are books for that - idiot app probably not far behind - or is there one already? lol). I feel pretty confident that I can take it from here! How do I mark this as resolved so you can get points if this is how this works? This has been my first blog ever!

when setting up my icloud mail i accidently pressed dont merge instead of merge. can i still merge them and if i can how do i do it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.