Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iMac 2012 - Wireless Capabilities?

I have just ordered a new 21.5" 2012 iMac

(with these being back-ordered by many suppliers, hopefully it will arrive in my lifetime ...)

The question I have is, I know it comes with some sort of built-in "Airport" wireless support, but wanted to know a little more in detail:

1. Will I need a separate Apple "Extreme" base, besides the built-in iMac capable wireless .... if I want to use iPone, iPod Touch, iPad, etc. in he house?

2. Is the built-in iMac "Airport", enough to act as a decent base router for house use?

3. If the built-in "Airport" does work as a wireless "base" (of sorts), does the iMac need to be on all the time for it to transmit?

Any info on the workings of the built-in wireless capabilities of the new 2012 iMac will be appreciated. Thanks

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 7:13 PM

11 replies

Jan 18, 2013 7:41 PM in response to DavidMac

1: Not necessarily. The iMac can connect to any wireless access point or router. I recommend genuine Apple AirPort base stations though, especially if you want to use the AirPrint capability of your iOS devices in the future, if you want to be certain Airplay streaming will work flawlessly, and if you want support from this website. Third party routers introduce an element of uncertainty should you have problems with them. It has also been my experience that Apple's routers work better in a mixed Windows / Mac environment than others.

2 & 3: Though the strict answer is yes, the iMac can act as an access point of sorts, in that it can share a network connection obtained through some port other than WiFi. This is not convenient though, and yes the iMac would need to be "on" if you were to do that.

Other than that the new iMacs use the latest wireless technology in common use today.

Jan 18, 2013 7:54 PM in response to John Galt

John:

What I would have, is the iMac directly ethernet hard-wired (with Roadrunner / although the Roadrunner brand name is being discontinued by TimeWarner), and wanted to know if the iMac would then be able to "transmit" (as a base station), to other wireless devices (ie: iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad, etc.).

From what I now understand, it can't .... it can only receive, the iMac can't transmit (as an Apple Extreme can).

I will have to look into getting a new Apple Extreme base as well.

Jan 21, 2013 4:21 PM in response to John Galt

John:

John wrote:

"... Macs have been able to do this since the Classic era."

Good follow-up.

Just not sure about "the Classic era"

Here's a screen grab from one of my older computers,

running an older OSX version. Notice no internet sharing

available.

User uploaded file

A final few questions or observations:

1. So, you're saying that the iMac, with "Internet Sharing" selected (in the system

preferences), will then enable the iMac to act as a base wireless transmitter to

all wi-fi devices in a set distance around the iMac (iPhones, iPod Touch, iPad, etc.)?

2. Do you know what the approximate transmitting distance is for this iMac

"Internet Sharing" is (in feet)?

3. For the iMac "Internet Sharing" to be available, the iMac has to obviously

be turned on, to transmit?

3. Is this iMac "Internet Sharing" somewhat equivalent to the performance of

the Apple Extreme Base Station (obviously probably not)?

4. Why would iMac users really need the Airport Extreme (other than to have

full internet access without needing to have their iMac's running all the time,

or for farther transmitting range)?

Jan 21, 2013 6:42 PM in response to DavidMac

This is Apple's statement:

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH3853

________________________________________________________________________________ _______

OS X Lion: Share your Internet connection

If your computer is connected to the Internet, you can share its Internet connection with other computers on your local network.

For example, if your computer is connected to the Internet using a DSL modem and has an AirPort Card installed, you can share the DSL connection with other AirPort-equipped computers.

On Windows computers, sharing your Internet connection is sometimes referred to as a “network bridge” or “bridging your network.”

1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences and click Sharing.
  2. Select Internet Sharing and click the checkbox if it isn’t checked.
  3. Choose the Internet connection you want to share from the “Share your connection from” pop-up menu. For example, if you’re connected to the Internet over Ethernet, choose Ethernet.
  4. Select how you want to share your Internet connection in the “To computers using” list. For example, if you want to share your Internet connection over AirPort, select AirPort.If you share your Internet connection using AirPort, click AirPort Options and give your network a name and password.

If your Internet connection and your local network use the same port (Ethernet, for example), investigate possible side effects before you turn on Internet sharing. In some cases (if you use a cable modem, for example) you might unintentionally affect the network settings of other ISP customers, and your ISP might terminate your service to prevent you from disrupting its network.

________________________________________________________________________________ _______

Does the implication of: "... you can share it's (your iMac's) internet connection with other computers on your LOCAL network", imply that "other computers" (those using Apple Airport), could also be referred to as "devices" ... such as iPods, iPhones, iPads, etc.?

Jan 21, 2013 7:02 PM in response to DavidMac

I forgot to add this in the thread earlier, referring to the comment of Macs having

been able to do this since the "Classic era"

In Older OSX System Preferences > Sharing > the Sharing "Internet" tab only

showed either of two options to computers using:

Built-in Ethernet

Built-in Firewire

• BUT NO "Wi-Fi" setting selection

User uploaded file

Obviously that's the difference ... having that "Wi-Fi" option under the

System Preference / Sharing / Menu Selections.

Jan 21, 2013 8:57 PM in response to DavidMac

Boot OS 9 a/k/a "Classic" and enable Software Base Station.

Archived - AirPort Software Base Station (Mac OS 9): Sharing an Internet Connection over Ethernet

OS X 10.1 did not include Software Base Station but it was reintroduced with a later version.

1. Yes
  2. No
  3. Yes
  4. Unknown. I do not know how many clients a Mac can serve, for instance. The Extreme is designed to serve 50 but I understand this is not an actual limit.
  5. Because it's stupid to have a Mac running all the time simply to perform the function of a hardware router?

Does the implication of: "... you can share it's (your iMac's) internet connection with other computers on your LOCAL network", imply that "other computers" (those using Apple Airport), could also be referred to as "devices" ... such as iPods, iPhones, iPads, etc.?

The KB article states

If your computer is connected to the Internet, you can share its Internet connection with other computers on your local network.

I have only verified Internet sharing works with other Macs, but it should work with iOS devices.

May 3, 2015 3:28 AM in response to John Galt

I never did get back to this original post, concerning if the new 2013 iMac's could transmit WiFi from the built-in Airport Extreme ….. well I'm reporting they can. it's easy to set-up too.

This is basically whats involved:

1. Turn on WiFi "ON" using menu bar icon

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

OR ...

WiFi can also be turned on in "System Preferences / Shared", by clicking on the "Internet Sharing" and

getting pop-down window to appear.

User uploaded file

2. Then, go to "System Preference" (in Menu), and OPEN "Sharing"

User uploaded file

Then, click-on "WiFi" in "To computers using" ….

User uploaded file

Then, click-on "Internet Sharing" in left box ...

User uploaded file

This pop-down window will appear …. click START

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

…. and DONE …. your iMac is now transmitting WiFi

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

This is what the 2013 iMac shows in "System Report" under "Network/WiFi"

The Airport Extreme is obviously built-in to the 2013 iMac.

User uploaded file

… and I am amazed at the strength and distance the WiFi signal, coming from my iMac, is. I've walked out

into our back yard (100' -150') and the WiFi signal is strong enough to carry in that range, from having the iMac indoors

…. with plenty of strength to cover WiFi devices in the house (as I have iPhone and Apple TV running great off the iMac WiFi signal.

Nice additional design and hardware addition to the new 2013 iMac line …. Apple got this iMac Built-in WiFi right !User uploaded file

May 3, 2015 3:49 AM in response to BGreg

I never did get back to this original post, concerning if the new 2013 iMac's could transmit WiFi from the built-in Airport Extreme ….. well I'm reporting they can. it's easy to set-up too.

This is basically whats involved:

1. Turn on WiFi "ON" using menu bar icon

User uploaded file

OR ...

WiFi can also be turned on in "System Preferences / Shared", by clicking on the "Internet Sharing" and

getting pop-down window to appear.

User uploaded file

2. Then, go to "System Preference" (in Menu), and OPEN "Sharing"

User uploaded file

Then, set "Share your internet connection from "Ethernet" … click-on "WiFi" in "To computers using" …

User uploaded file

Then, click-on "Internet Sharing" in left box ...

User uploaded file

This pop-down window will appear …. click START

User uploaded file

"Internet Sharing" is now ON ...

User uploaded file

…. and DONE …. your iMac is now transmitting WiFi

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

This is what the 2013 iMac shows in "System Report" under "Network/WiFi"

The Airport Extreme is obviously built-in to the 2013 iMac.

User uploaded file

… and I am amazed at the strength and distance the WiFi signal, coming from my iMac, is. I've walked out

into our back yard (100' -150') and the WiFi signal is strong enough to carry in that range, from having the iMac indoors

…. with plenty of strength to cover WiFi devices in the house (as I have iPhone and Apple TV running great off the iMac WiFi signal.

This built-in iMac WiFi option is a nice additional hardware addition to the new 2013 iMac line …. Apple got this iMac Built-in WiFi right !

NOTE: Of course you will have to set-up the "Computer Name" for your local network

(in the "Sharing Folder" in System Preferences).

User uploaded file

And you will also have to set up "configure an internet-sharing network" info

(in the Sharing Folder", in System Preferences, under the "WiFi Options" button)

User uploaded file

New iMac 2012 - Wireless Capabilities?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.