Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to uninstall AVG LinkScanner for Mac

After a bit of an ordeal trying to remove AVG LinkScanner for Mac, heres a bit of help.

My trash started prompting me for my password whenever I placed an item in it after installing either AVG LinkScanner or MacKeeper, both of which i have now, at long last, successfully removed.

AVG Link scanner was an absolute nightmare to uninstall. Instead of simply dragging and dropping into the trash like every other application I’ve ever uninstalled, you have to use a separate uninstaller application. After spending 30 minutes on the phone to AVG customer support, who were actually very helpful, I was finally given a link to which I could download the uninstaller.

In the hope that this may save anyone else the headache it gave me, and the time wasted I'm going to supply the link below to which you can download the uninstaller for AVG LinkScanner if like me, you decide it's annoying and you don't actually want it.

To download the LinkScanner uninstaller for Mac OS X, please click on the link below:

http://download.avgfree.com/filedir/inst/avg_lsm_stf_all_2012_1812.dmg

If you cannot download the files through the link above, please refer to this website:

http://free.avg.com/us-en/download-free-all-product

Hope this helps.

🙂

AVG LinkScanner-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 19, 2013 6:42 PM

25 replies

Oct 22, 2013 7:41 PM in response to RobertTweedie

Dear RobertTweedie!

I, too, can not thank you enough. I've had avg on my comouter for years. I think it started out good but turned bad. I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to get that creature off my mac! And now even the little icon on my menu bar has finally disappeared! So many thanks!

Next though,...so is MacKepper a bad one too?? I think I paid money for that one. Am I a sucker?

Kind Regards,

Hunter Thomas

Nov 19, 2013 10:26 PM in response to RobertTweedie

RobertTweedie wrote:

My trash started prompting me for my password whenever I placed an item in it after installing either AVG LinkScanner or MacKeeper, both of which i have now, at long last, successfully removed.

The behavior you observed regarding MacKeeper is a "feature". The uninstaller is built into the app and is automatically run when it senses it's being deleted, but requires admin privileges in order to unload and remove many of the other files it has scattered around. They seem to change the list of files that need to be removed a lot, so if you sense you still might have something lurking you might find this helpful: how to uninstall MacKeeper – updated.

Nov 19, 2013 10:34 PM in response to HunterT3001

HunterT3001 wrote:

is MacKepper a bad one too?? I think I paid money for that one. Am I a sucker?

Most forum members recommend against it's use. It has a long rather sordid history of using aggressive advertising that often involved stretching the truth. In the beginning the code was unpolished and could do more harm than good. I am led to believe that the latter is no longer a problem and they have at least pretended to change ownership to try and clean up their act, but only time will tell if that's enough.

I guess I'd have to ask you why you think you need an application such as MacKeeper? There is freeware available which can do almost everything it does, but in the hands of an inexperienced user, all of these utilities can be harmful and should never be used for periodic, routine maintenance tasks. The system takes very good care of itself, so they should only be used when you sense there is a problem and target the problem, not fire a shotgun at it.

How to uninstall AVG LinkScanner for Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.