Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi Problems Macbook Air

****. I have a previous generation BAse station extreme.

We have iPad, iPhones (2), Macbook Pro Retina, and this summer my wife finally got a Macboor air 11 inch on my recommendation.

She encounters a recurring problem where the WiFi icon gets a exclamation point and she can,t connect to any wireless network. It'll take a few minutes, sometime sa restart, and it will come back. I had never encountered this problem with my Mac... until last week. At first I thought it was her MBA which had a hardware problem, but sicne mine has encountered it once... I figured maybe it's the Airport Base station? Should I buy a new router?

Just to give you as much detail as possible: I have ADSL Internet, and the base station is configured as bridge since the router handles the rest. The computers connect to the network broadcast from the base station, not the Bell Speedstream router.

thanks for any helpUser uploaded file

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 6:52 PM

4 replies

Jan 22, 2013 8:01 PM in response to Ashsrighthand

I have been suffering with this problem on my Retina Macbook Pro.

What seems to be the problem is DHCP allocation. My AirPort network is a little complicated, with lots of devices, and I think the AirPort Extreme was having problems allocating IP addresses.

I only did this this morning so I'm hoping it continues to work, but try manually allocating IP addresses for the machines you are having problems with to prevent DHCP messups.

Open AirPort Utility, select your base station and click Edit and go to Network.

Open System Preferences, go to Network and Wi-Fi in the side menu. Click Advanced, and go to TCP/IP

In AirPort Utility, create a DHCP reservation by pressing the +. Call the description the name of this computer, leave it on Reserve by MAC Address.

In System Preferences, select Configure IPv4: Using DHCP with manual address. Note your current IPv4 address and copy and paste it into AirPort Utility dialogue under IPv4 address. Get your MAC address by clicking the Wi-Fi tab in the System Preferences window, and copy and paste your "Wi-Fi Address".

Close, save, restart, etc.

In AirPort Utility you can add extras, so do it for all devices having problems.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Wifi Problems Macbook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.