Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Daisy chain two display port monitors (Dell U2913WM) to new Mac mini Thunderbolt?

Everything I read said that I could hook up a display port monitor to a Thunderbolt port on the mac mini. I purchased two display port monitors (Dell U2913WM) that can be daisy chained, and hooked them up. All I get is mirroring. Does anyone know how to turn off mirroring with this setup? I did not get the "uncheck mirroring" option in preferences until I hooked up the second via the HDMI port instead of a daisy chain. The problem with that is, I cannot take advantage of the full resolution through the HDMI. It seems I have wasted my money on two monitors.

Looking for advice on:

1) How to daisy chain these two Dell monitors to the mac mini and turn off mirroring and use an extended desktop, or

2) How to take advantage of the full resolution through HDMI port?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), New Mac mini Intel graphics card

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 9:17 PM

75 replies

May 31, 2017 12:17 AM in response to ChrisDemian

I guess you found out by now that it does not work.

The problem is not the hardware not supporting it. It's macOS lacking the support for the daisy chain feature. As soon as you boot to windows in bootcamp it works. The macOS team needs to add the support for daisy chaining displayport in order to make this work.

The only thing we can do is send feedback to apple in the hope they will fix it.

As suggested by Robin on stackexchange.

Mar 19, 2017 3:32 PM in response to picaron77

Not sure if there was ever a solution to this thread, but I found a workaround that has me running on two Dell U2913WM's; I ordered a USB 3.0 to HDMI adapter off of Amazon (link below). I am able to run at full 2560 x 1080 resolution on HDMI.

I just installed the drivers, rebooted, and it auto recognized. Hope this helps if this is still an issue for you, or anyone else!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BPEV1XK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UT F8&psc=1

Mar 27, 2017 11:08 AM in response to aperture89

I'm not sure whether the issue is solved yet, but I planned to buy two of the Dell U2717D and asked

Dell for daisy-chaining. Their hint:

http://www.dell.com/support/article/ed/en/edbsdt1/SLN295251/how-to-configure-u24 15-monitor-daisy-chaining-on-intel-hd-gr…

Even the U24... should work. The trick is to enable the DP 1.2 support in the screen linked directly to

the GPU and disable it in the last guy in the chain. I've read the entire thread, but still don't know whether

somebody tried this...

I nevertheless hope it helps.

Jan 25, 2013 6:26 AM in response to picaron77

It is possible to daisy-chain two Apple Mini displayport monitors off a Thunderbolt interface or Mini displayport interface. This is because the Apple display has a mini displayport socket for connecting to (daisy chaining to) the second display.

According to http://www.dell.com/ed/business/p/dell-u2913wm/pd the Dell screen also has a second Displayport socket for daisy chaining. So in theory you could do the following.

Connect first screen to Mac via a Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt cable (backwards compatible with mini Displayport). Connect second screen to first screen via a Mini displayport (mini) to Displayport (non mini) cable.

The HDMI port is limited to a maximum resolution of 1920x1200

Feb 22, 2013 12:14 PM in response to picaron77

picaron77 wrote:

I purchased the thunderbolt cable, and the thunderbolt out on the mini into the mini display port input on the first monitor does not work. It says there is nothing plugged in, so I am wondering if it is really backwards compatible.

I believe you are using the wrong cable. Try it with a a Mini-DP to Mini-DP cable - not thunderbolt. I am looking to do the exact same thing as you with 2x Dell U2713H. I just ordered the first one and these new models have both Mini-DP + DP in and a DP out and support DP 1.2 MST (daisy chaining). From what I've read, TB is only DP 1.1a backwards compatabile so I think it will only support 1 monitor in the end 😟

Hopefully I'm wrong. Try the other cable and report back!

--mgb

Feb 28, 2013 11:57 AM in response to picaron77

So re-reading this thread, I now realize you did exactly what I wanted to do but your issue was having a cloned vs. extended desktop. Oops!

I believe your "nothing plugged in" issue is the cable. I'm not sure that TB cables are backwards compatible with DP - I think it's only the ports. Do you see multiple monitors in "System Preferences > Displays" if you hook the monitors up like you described in your OP?

My Dell U2713H arrived today and it works like a charm with the supplied Mini-DP to DP cable. The built-in display on my 13" mid 2009 MBP still works if not in clamshell mode, although I will mostly use mine in my HengeDock. In the OSD of the monitor, you can access "Display Settings > Display Info" and it will show you the DP capability. Mine is only DP 1.1a and I believe to run 2 of these at full resolution you will need the bandwidth in DP 1.2 which includes MST (daisy-chaining). This could be your problem.

Can you access the same menu in your OSD and report back what your DP compatability is?

Thanks!

mgb

Apr 1, 2013 6:34 AM in response to picaron77

I have the same exact issue as you; two U2913WM. I spent the money on these monitors trusting it would daisychain as expected but all I get is mirroring. I Bought the TB cable but had the same "nothing plugged in" issue. I went ahead and got a mini DP to mini DP cable but got the same mirroring issue. I researched alittle about the cable and learned it is not 1.2 capable. I dont know if the cables that comes with it are 1.2 capable so I ordered the "Accell B143B-003J UltraAV Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort 1.2". Also be sure to configure the settings on the monitor when you press menu > other settings > enable 1.2.

Ill post an update if it works with the accells.

Apr 1, 2013 6:43 AM in response to kevinkfs

I have a 13" MBP mid 2009 and I'm using the Dell supplied Mini-DP to DP cable. If I enable DP 1.2 compatability (Menu > Display Settings > DisplayPort 1.2 > Enable), everything works fine and under Display Info (same menu), the DP Capability shows: DP 1.2.

Now I'm not sure if that means my MBP is DP 1.2 capable (or a combination of the monitor/cable is) but everything works fine if DP 1.2 is enabled. For sure, my old MBP will not be able to push 2x 2560x1440, but I would totally upgrade to a non-retina MBP (before they're gone for good) and add another one of these monitors ... iff i knew it would work 🙂

Let us know how you manage!

May 4, 2013 11:49 AM in response to picaron77

I too am trying to daisy-chain two Dell monitors to a 2012 MB Pro Retina 13". I bought the Accell MDP to DP 1.2 cable to connect the first monitor to the MBP, but on the Dell U2412M monitor I can find no way to output the signal to the second monitor. I assume that the DVI input is for input only. Has anyone had

success with daisy-chaining?

Daisy chain two display port monitors (Dell U2913WM) to new Mac mini Thunderbolt?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.