Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud "Documents & Data" unavailable on network accounts

Hi All!

I am running a Mountain Lion server at home on a Mac Pro (2008). All seems to be going well with the exception of the following: users are unable to access their documents stored in iCloud through apps like TextEdit, Pages, Numbers, etc. While "Documents & Data" is enabled on the accounts, and all other iCloud account services seem to function properly, accessing iCloud documents brings up an alert sound and the folder path to their network home folder's documents folder. Interestingly, logging in to the network accounts locally (on the server) does not create this error.

I have tried signing in and out of iCloud, as well as testing the error on different accounts

Mac Pro, OS X Server

Posted on Jan 26, 2013 10:48 AM

7 replies

Nov 1, 2013 8:58 PM in response to tim_r_66

I have now tested with Mavericks Server and Mavericks client, and "Documents & Data" is currently simply greyed out - which is, I suppose, an improvement over leaving it available but not functioning. Another discussion thread on this in the community (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5470773) seems to indicate that Apple simply does not support this feature for network accounts, although it will work for mobile accounts (which I have not tested). I wish I could have those hours of trying back. Sigh.

Nov 4, 2013 2:24 PM in response to RiddimAddict

Yes, disappointing. Although I admit I was going down the webDAV/VPN route any way, having iCloud available as another route would be nice due to the automatic syncing.

I think one of the notes said an Apple rep said this is by design as Server is aimed at Enterprise markets. I think they have an incomplete strategy. Server should really be aimed at small to medium-sized businesses.

My two cents fwiw.

iCloud "Documents & Data" unavailable on network accounts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.