Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to change the location folder of a iTunes backup? (in the case of partitioned hard drives))

Hi,

I operate Windows XP, and I have partitioned my hard drive to enable faster operation. All my programs are running fine, except for iTunes. When iTunes downloads any software updates, or when I want to import a CD, or when I want to back up my iPod to my computer (etc.), it automatically wants to store to the C: drive, which has only enough space to run programs etc. I would like to have it store to my partitioned D: drive. How do I change the folder to which iTunes operates from? Do I need to unistall and re-install?

Help!

Thanks,

7jdr3

iPod touch, Windows XP

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 11:13 AM

2 replies

Jan 28, 2013 11:36 AM in response to 7jdr3

I copied a reply from an earlier post. As for the library storage, that is in Preference/Advanced and change file storage to your D drive.

diesel vdub Atlanta, GA

Currently Being Moderated

Re: How can I save iTunes to another drive?

Jan 27, 2013 8:46 AM (in response to poppygal)

iTunes will only save and run off the internal drive.

That being said, the library and media can be on an external drive.

Where is the existing library? Was it moved from the old external drive to the new external drive?

If not, close iTunes.

Move the ENTIRE iTunes folder from the old drive to the new drive.

Hold SHIFT while launching iTunes and point it to the iTunes folder on the new drive.

Jan 28, 2013 11:43 AM in response to 7jdr3

Moving the iTunes library location

1. Move the entire iTunes folder from <User's Music> to the another drive, e.g. as D:\iTunes
  2. Hold down shift as you start iTunes and keep holding until asked to choose or create a library
  3. Click choose, browse to the new location and open the file iTunes Library.itl

Moving the iOS device backup location

Open a command prompt by hitting the start button and typing CMD<Enter> in the search box that opens up, or with Start > Run on older Windows.

To move the current backup folder from C: to D: (for example) type in this command and press <Enter>

Move "C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Local\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup" "D:\Backup"

Where <User> is your Windows user name.

To make iTunes look for the data in the new location type in this command and press <Enter>

MkLink /J "C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Local\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup" "D:\Backup"

If your preferred drive has a different letter or you already have a folder called "Backup" then edit "D:\Backup" accordingly in both commands.

If you have Windows XP then you'll need a third-party tool such as Junction to link the two locations together instead of the MkLink command. The source folder is C:\Documents and Settings\<User>\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

tt2

Is it possible to change the location folder of a iTunes backup? (in the case of partitioned hard drives))

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.