Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Download SD version of an HD TV show?

I bought an HD season of a television show and downloaded all episodes to my iPad4. They are taking up too much room, I want to delete them and download the SD version of each episode but can't find a way. Is there a way to download the SD version?

iPad, iOS 6.1

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 10:02 PM

18 replies

Jan 28, 2013 10:48 PM in response to MarkSasa

Just to recap my question...

I bought the HD version of a television season that can be bought in both SD and HD.

I downloaded all the episodes of the season via wifi and they are taking up way too much room on my iPad.

I would like to download all the episodes in standard def to save room on the iPad without rebuying the entire season in the SD version.

I can't find any setting to that will allow me to download the HD episodes that I have bought in SD.

Is there a way to download them in SD?

Feb 10, 2013 4:11 PM in response to M M8

Hi M8, it appears you've been given some bad info. This can easily be done, no need whatsoever to repurchase.

On your iPad or iPhone, go to the actual iTunes store page for the show you wish to re-download (*not* the "Purchases" area). Once you are there, assuming you've already purchased the show (or movie), you will see the option to "download" the individual episodes, rather than a price to purchase them. You will also see the HD/SD option up near the description of the show. Simply press the SD button, and then download each episode. They will download in SD, saving you tons of space.

I recently did this and replaced 8 episodes of one HD show with 20 SD episodes, and still have several gigs left over.

Feb 12, 2013 9:48 AM in response to Rdg3

Hi Rdg3,

I returned the season to iTunes so I can't see this right now but before I returned the show I did go back to iTunes and couldn't find an SD download option. iTunes support told me if buying HD then can only download in HD.

It would be great if you can buy HD and download SD, it would save a lot of space when you need to.

Download SD version of an HD TV show?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.