Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help on uninstalling Sophos antivirus

I have downloaded a trial version of Sophos antivirus and it has resulted in my Mac running very slowly. Does anybody have an ideas on how I can uninstall this software?

Cheers

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Sophos antivirus

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 8:36 AM

16 replies

Mar 10, 2013 10:46 AM in response to choppersday

I installed latest version of shophos, did not have unistall pkg on harddrive. I tried removing from HD by just deleting folder, it did not remove software from showing up on top as if it was still on computer. May be I removed from user/app folder and not from HD app folder?

I had to do following steps

Delete from multiple places/folders

HD/application

HD /library/ application support

HD /library/caches (com.shophos)

HD/library/ luanchdeamons

HD /library/contextual..

(these may not be all the folders I had to deal with . I suppose I can reinstall and write down my steps)

this removed it without showing up on stratup.

Basically I had to search multiple folders to find any traces of shophos and remove it.

May not be the best or easiest method but nothing else worked for me and one can not use terminal if there is no unistall package in folder ( I suppose )

Why not shophos make it easy to have unistall package available to remove or on their website. When so many people have to post to find a solution..waste of everyones time.

G

Aug 6, 2013 7:26 AM in response to gogodoc1

It might help somebody...the Sophos site says to go to the ~ | Library | Application Support | Sophos Anti-Virus and click the Sophos Remove icon. The icon is not in the Library folder.

On a Mac Mini OS X 10.8.4, I found the icon in Applications, double-clicked and it uninstalled easily without a problem.

Thanks Thomas for confirming that this was the correction action in this discussion

Aug 13, 2014 8:00 AM in response to mende1

I'm trying to remove Sophos as (1) it has stopped automatically updating itself and I can't make it update manually, and (2) I want to install a newer version. I have tried your suggestion of

cd /Library/Sophos\ Anti-Virus/ && installer -pkg 'Remove Sophos Anti-Virus.pkg' -target /

but I get the following error message "installer: Error the package path specified was invalid: 'Remove Sophos Anti-Virus.pkg'."

I have a suspicion that it wasn't installed properly/completely the first time and so now when I try to uninstall it it can't find the uninstall package. I also don't have an app called Sophos Remove or Remove Sophos.

Any ideas gratefully received!

Thanks

May 9, 2015 6:15 AM in response to gogodoc1

I had the same issue - I was using a personal computer at work and so the IT team installed Sophos, and must have deleted the uninstall package. I've had difficulty in searching for the Sophos files but this list helped - for some reason searching for 'sophos' didn't list the HD folders etc which still existed and so this program continued on startup. Thanks for the list!

Help on uninstalling Sophos antivirus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.