Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iphone 5 suddenly died.

My iphone 5 suddenly died. It will not turn on when I plug it in. It was working well the night before and nothing happened to it over night. The battery was charged.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1

Posted on Jan 30, 2013 3:07 AM

330 replies

Mar 24, 2017 12:32 PM in response to myiphoneisgolden

thank you that was so helpful i cant thank you enough for this it was pretty much so terrifying i could barely believe what was going on until it turned back onπŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ˜πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚

Apr 20, 2017 5:42 PM in response to PybuSss

Just happened to my 5S, first time ever and only a week or so since I updated to iOS 10.3.1.

From my perspective this was not the worst experience related to this new iOS. Really don't like the clutered, distracting interface, the clunky way it requires to be unlocked, the missing graph in the Health App, just to mention a few. Wondering why anyone thinks this is progress or better!!!

Apr 21, 2017 10:33 PM in response to myiphoneisgolden

wow. Thank you. I had to hold both buttons down for many seconds and the apple logo came up and went away again (Oh God) three or four times before holding and then my phone was back to its old self and now it's fine. So weird -nothing had been odd before it went black. Hold tight to those buttons and hope for the best. Thank you for this thread!

Apr 23, 2017 4:05 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence sincerely thank you so much for your existence. I smoked a quick J at the balconny, casually sat down on my dx racer chair, grabbed my iphone 5s and believe it or not dat *** was dead.I was so dissapointed in that little *******, bought him slightly used (for approximately 3 years), created some kind of a man-machine bro relationship during those 5 months of my usage.Suddenly everything went to the abyss for a sec, I just sat there on my chair thinking about ye good old times i had scrolling through those classy bluish facebook pages, all went so smooth and elegant.That pure movement and curvy design so godly executed. And i am not even speaking about the little, polished, skin-friendly, soft button in the middle. Out of a nowhere an idea came to my mind that old papa bless google is still alive. Bravely typed those 5 shaky words and hoped for the best. BAM First option to pick a demi-god Lawrence who gave me some kind of a hint, a chance deeply hidden behind the left button click on the mouse. The legacy was clear to me a blue shaped text that sparked a flame of hope in my eyes, that one HOLD HOME+POWER button technique which restored the balance. That shine of a lovely white apple cleansed me from my doubtful idea of a betrayful el I phonerino 5eserino. He took that reboot like a man stood up and now serving well again by my side. All because of you, Lawrence I do have to say Thank you for one more time tho, cuz that HELP WAS ON POINT BRUH. Peace out!

<Edited by Host>

Aug 7, 2017 5:17 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Hi, I hope you can help me.. I'm having the same problem with my mom's iPhone SE one day my mom's phone works perfectly I charged it at 10% then when it reach to 100% still works fine then after 15mins or so it suddenly shut down then I try to press the home and lock button but it's not working I leave the phone for about 3-4 hours then tried again it works I connected it to my MacBook To do a backup and it works again... then after 3 hours it shut down again... it always happens to my mom's phone... one day it works fine then hours later it shuts down please help... we don't have any Genius Bar here in the Philippines

Oct 9, 2017 6:57 PM in response to myiphoneisgolden

Mine too. This is second time happened with my iphone 5S. Apple is really losing my trust now.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I did try holding both power and home buttons for a few second ( 20-30). It works now, but I's not reliable at all. Will dye again for sure. Apple must find the way not to let people away if they're smart enough. I may have to try Android instead.

Jan 30, 2013 9:04 AM in response to myiphoneisgolden

This just happened to me too.

I applied the the recent iOS update on Monday night. I started having reception problems with my phone yesterday afternoon (on every call the reception was bad, but the other person heard me fine). I used some co workers phone at work, that are also on AT&T, and their recption was fine.

I did a backup and restore last night of the iOS update, that that fixed the recption problem. My phone was fine last night and today, reception, apps, internet on and off WiFi, iMessages, txt messages, etc.

Now, it just died a mintue ago. Phone was fully charged and nothing will bring it back to life.

Anyone else having this issue?

iPhone 5 with 8 GB

iPhone ringer was set to mute (with the orange showing)

AT&T

Jan 30, 2013 9:06 AM in response to RJM

I was looking on Google, found something, tired it and it woked:

• Toggle the "silent button" above the volume rocker back and forth 2 times
  • Press the home button and also the sleep button at the same time. the apple logo will appear right after.

All seems well now, but very strange.

Mar 25, 2013 9:29 PM in response to RJM

My phone just died as well, it was working fine and I was using it normally and then it just was suddenly dead. No obvious reason and no response to normal actions. Luckily, this advice about holding the home and sleep buttons together (plus perhaps toggling the silent button helped which I also did) worked, though I had to wait a couple of seconds after letting go before seeing the Apple logo.

Boy was that scary! I had it in an Otter case, which I removed when trying to fix, perhaps some moisture was trapped by that. Also, had switched the silent on and off earlier today, so perhaps there is a problem there. I just hope it doesn't happen again.

My iphone 5 suddenly died.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.