Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture is resetting my curves adjustments

FIrst, I'm using Aperture 3.4.3 with all the other latest system software updates (there, got that out of the way).

I often use Aperture's auto-enhance function as a start to image adjustments. Just today when I started Aperture and started in on my latest project, I noticed that all of the curves adjustments are being reset - sort of: the curves brick isn't reset to its default or starting state, rather it removes the S-curve and assigns new black & white points.

During investigating this I found ApertureExpert.com's article on auto-curves ("New Auto-Curves Behavior & Getting the Old Way Back") and it seems as though it is reverting to the "old" curves adjustment.

Why is that?

The only thing I've done (in between my original adjustments and today when I discovered they are being reset) is repaired and then rebuilt the library because I had a problem where Aperture "lost" many originals. These steps didn't fix that problem & I had to connect the files manually.

So, any ideas if I can fix my curves problem and any idea why it happened?

Posted on Feb 3, 2013 10:37 AM

4 replies

Feb 3, 2013 11:06 AM in response to JasoninaJeep

When you rebuild your library, Aperture has probably discovered an orphaned image that had old-style "Curves" adjustments. When it added that image to the library again, it also reintroduced the old-style Curves adjustment.

One way to get your own "Curves" adjustment back, would be to select one of the recently adjusted images and save that adjustment as an effect (In the "Effects" menu -> "Save as Effect").

Regards

Léonie

Feb 3, 2013 12:15 PM in response to Kirby Krieger

--Kirby, possibly blinded by all the snow we've been having.

😁 I saw your beautifully framed snow-picture in the other thread. And we have plenty of snow today too, so we are in this together.

Kirby, I think what is happening is comparable to the problem with the Highlights & Shadows brick. If the Aperture library needs the olde-tyme Curves, because it contains an image, that has the old adjustments, then we will see the older "Curves"

How to not miss that olde-tyme Highlights & Shadows 7-slider Brick

So I doubt that reinstalling will help, because the effect depends on the image versions in the library. A new library would help in this case, only how to transfer the contents of the current library to the new library, without the one image that has been causing the reversion?

wouldn't saving as an Effect save and apply the parameters and not the "auto" algorithm?

My hope is, that this will save the new new effect, - like in your tip in the post above.

But I have never seen this happen to the Curves, so I am open for all suggestions.

Regards

Léonie

Feb 4, 2013 12:43 PM in response to JasoninaJeep

Did a little troubleshooting work:

I didn't reinstall Aperture, but I did trash the Preferences, but problem persisted.

I restored a previous version of the library file and all of those curves were ok (i.e., did not "reset" to the old style nor remove the auto-generated S-curve).

Chose one image that had previously been adjust with the Auto-Enhance effect and changed the curve to the old style by option-clicking the auto-luminance button. I checked other images and they remained unchanged. So the presence of the old style curve on a recent image doesn't mess with other images.

On this restored library file I repaired the database. All images remained unchanged.

Then I rebuilt the database and they problem reappeared: images with the auto-enhance effect changed the curves adjustment.

Weird. Looks like I'm okay as long as I do not rebuild the database.

Aperture is resetting my curves adjustments

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.