Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my mac pro won't print pdf files

My macbook pro will not print PDF files - I had to change some settings previously and it worked for a while but just stopped again recently. I can't remember what settings I changed before to make it work. Can anyone help me?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 6, 2013 5:20 AM

10 replies

Feb 6, 2013 5:40 AM in response to sig

Yes, I can print everything else.

I am trying to print an Adobe pdf file. Adobe brings up a different printer dialog box and when I select print, it just gives me a blank page. The page actually goes through the printer but nothing is printed on it. I finally just got it to print by going to advanced options and choosing print as an image but I don't think I should have to do that every time. I also tried another pdf file and it printed it just fine so now I am more confused.

It was printing this pdf file three days ago and now it won't print it anymore.

Feb 6, 2013 7:40 AM in response to sanjampet

I am not trying to name and save the pdf file - it is already named and saved as a pdf but thank you anyway. My issue is with printing.

When I try to open the pdf file, the adobe printer window opens instead of the regular printer window as you have shown in your screenshots above. When I try to print it, it just feeds paper through my HP printer without actually printing the file on it. It printed this file just fine 3 days ago and now it won't.

Feb 6, 2013 8:53 AM in response to KCfrom SC

I found it.....

1. Click on any PDFUser uploaded file file in the Finder to select it

2. Go to the “File” menu and select “Get Info.” You also have the option of pressing the “Control” key on the keyboardUser uploaded file while clicking on the file and selecting “Get Info” from the contextual menu.

3. Adjust the “Open with” menu to “Preview.” Press “Change All” to set all PDFs to open with Preview.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me!

Jan 30, 2015 11:38 PM in response to KCfrom SC

I was having this problem as well on a MacBook Pro using OS X Yosemite. It would not print pdf's or a rtf file. i removed the printer and re-added it. When I re-added it I made sure that in the add printer dialog box I did not select AirPrint but selected the printer driver instead. I think that my printer is possibly not an AirPrint compatible printer.

Aug 1, 2015 3:52 PM in response to KCfrom SC

KCfrom SCFeb 6, 2013 8:53 AM Re: my mac pro won't print pdf files
Re: my mac pro won't print pdf filesin response to KCfrom SC

I found it.....

1. Click on any PDFUser uploaded file file in the Finder to select it

2. Go to the “File” menu and select “Get Info.” You also have the option of pressing the “Control” key on the keyboardUser uploaded filewhile clicking on the file and selecting “Get Info” from the contextual menu.

3. Adjust the “Open with” menu to “Preview.” Press “Change All” to set all PDFs to open with Preview.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------

I had not experienced this problem on my MacBook Pro running OSX Yosemite until today. PDFs have always printed on my HP directly from Adobe Reader BUT following a recent Adobe update to XI version 11.0.12 this has suddenly ceased although PDFs are printing from my iPad running iOS8.

Your detailed work around saved the day for me as I needed to print out my car insurance documentation which was sent to me electronically!

The bottom line is that this is a bug in Adobe Reader for Apple OS and should be fixed. Having converted from years of PC usage to Apple products I am becoming increasingly dismayed at the incompetency of those who develope generally problem free PC applications but seem incapable of doing the same for Apple products. I also encountered problems with my digital camera software where the PC version was fine but not Apple OS.

Once again many thanks for your detailed work around and hopes that Adobe and/or Apple will soon produce a fix.

my mac pro won't print pdf files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.