Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

7.6.3 Firmware Update Woes Today, anyone else? Think twice about it!

Firmware update to 7.6.3 with the Time Capsule today. Normally I don't do these unless I have to but I was tempted in case some additional functionality might be available there or in the new Airport Utility such as being able to view DHCP address for ethernet attached devices.

For three hours, suffered with internet service going on and off. Amber indicator on Airport Utility for Internet on and off. Contacted cable internet carrier, all fine. Contacted Apple, recommended a warm reset via Airport Utility and seemed OK for a while and then behavior continued when pressing on to update the 4 peripheral Airport Expresses which both extend network and deliver Airplay.

Ultimately had to do a factory reset of all of them in sequence, seems OK for now but have lost all DHCP reservations and Port Forwarding which is a pain in the neck.

Unless there's a good reason to update firmware, I would wait.

Interested in the experiences of others. And if anyone knows of a way to simply view the DHCP IP address of wired attached devices I am interested...

Mitch

Posted on Feb 7, 2013 9:32 PM

58 replies

Feb 7, 2013 10:08 PM in response to mvgossman

After upgrading to 7.6.3, my Airport Extreme (Gen5) won't connect to Internet. Modem works fine directly connected to iMac.

I have pushed the reset button on AE and it completes the set up process, but the Internet will not respond. Also upgraded Airport utility to 6.2, with no problems.

What is the sequence of the factory reset you referred to?

Any suggestions? How do I roll-back to 7.6.2.

Feb 7, 2013 10:22 PM in response to msterling

Still troubleshooting past midnight but there appears to be a conflict between my peripheral Airport Expresses, two of them are configured as extending network and are connected to ethernet and two are connected to the existing network via WiFi. If I disconnect the two that are connected via WiFi, it works properly.

To factory reset, unplug, press and hold reset button and plug in. Manual says to then press and hold reset for ten seconds after light starts to flash.

I'm also interested in rolling back to 7.6.3 but I wonder if the real problem is the firmware upgrade disturbed the connections of my Expresses to the Time Capsule.

Mitch

Feb 8, 2013 6:50 AM in response to mvgossman

I tested this on two of my three 5th Gen Airport Extremes. They both refused to connect to the Internet, I finally moved one to the primaries position and it finally connected ( it was in bride mode originally). Speeds are all,over the place 5mbs one time 17 the next then it may just lock up, never anywhere near my normal 26mbs. Rolled it back to 7.6.1 and they all,three work normal and fast as usual. I do not recommend doing the 7.6.3 update. There is obviously something wrong with it. Wonder where 7.6.2 was, I never saw it as available?

Feb 8, 2013 1:45 PM in response to mvgossman

Well I gave it all a try. Upgraded the three 5th gens, then rolled them back and upgraded again. They seemed to work for about 15 minutes then things started to go unstable. The primary started giving errors about double NA'T and handing out DHCP and the cable modem was rebooting like crazy. When it was working the speed test app is all over the place to, never stable and some times it hangs and if it does that you have to toggle wifi on and off to get Internet to come back on that device. All three routers act the same. Tested with MacBook Air, iPad mini, IPhone 5 and Latiude e6220 with 6300 intel wifi chip. I rolled the all back for now to 7.6.1 and Cable is now stable, routers are all stable, no more hangs and weird stuff. My speeds area ll back to normal and my shared drives and wifi printer are back as well.

Feb 8, 2013 4:07 PM in response to It_caveman

I rolled back to 7.6.1 after doing the update last night. I have a mixed PC/Mac network and older machines slowed to a crawl. Was getting ready to call the cable company when I tried a speed test on the newest machine and it was screaming... So to make everyone happy we rolled back.

To roll back, Open Airport Utility, click on your Airport Icon, hover over the version number and push the Option Key. I was then presented with 3 or 4 rollback versions in a pull down. I choose 7.6.1 and after a few minutes of it reloading the firmware, all is back to the pre-update status.😐

7.6.3 Firmware Update Woes Today, anyone else? Think twice about it!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.