Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to sync Outlook for MAC with iCal, Address book on Lion OS/iCloud

Outlook for MAC used to sync easily on my with ICal and Address Book on my iMAC and Mobile Me then synced the calendar and contacts on my MacBook.

Once I upgraded to Lion, this easy syncing ended, as iCloud can only sync among devices and apparently doesn't support Outlook for MAC anymore.

An apple store genius and an Apple Care tech support person both said the problem is intermittent. That some users do not experience issues syncing with Outlook for MAC while others do.

Can anyone suggest how I can get syncing to work? I badly need my Outlook for MAC contacts and calendar to sync on all my apple devices: iPhone 5, iPad and MacBook Air.

One question: I still have a Mobile Me icon on my iMAC desktop. Could it be confusing iCloud?

I can manually sync Outlook for MAC to iCal and Address book by turning off iCloud but that causes problems that force me to call Outlook tech support to fix.

Help!

iPad

Posted on Feb 9, 2013 7:52 AM

33 replies

Feb 9, 2013 7:59 AM in response to Writer238

Outlook for Mac does not support iCloud, never did. Microsoft chose that not Apple (read the statement on Microsofts site) Strangely Outlook for Windows does support iCloud (that's Microsoft for you, always on the ball)

Further to that all versions of OSX below 10.7.2 do not support iCloud either, you don't mention what version of OSX you use so it is not possible to offer advice as to your options.

In short, you can't 'sync' Outlook for Mac with iCloud, use a different service, or a different client.

Feb 11, 2013 3:12 PM in response to Writer238

You have been given incorrect information.

Outlook for Mac has never synced with iCloud. It simply is not technically capable of doing so. Microsoft have not included support for the CalDAV and CardDAV protocols iCloud uses, so there is no way it can work for anyone.

You can sync locally stored calendars between iCal and Outlook for Mac by turning on SyncServices support in Outlooks preferences, but locally stored calendars stay local - they do not and can not interact with iCloud at all.

Feb 11, 2013 3:18 PM in response to Writer238

Writer238 wrote:

I use OSX 10.7.5.

I have been told by Apple Level 2 Tech Support person and by an Outlook Tech Support person that this is a problem the not all users have.

For some, Outlook for MAC syncs perfectly with iCloud.

I am determined to find a workaround. It is particularly stupid that my Outlook Calendar can't sync with iCal.

You have been told wrong. Outlook will not sync with iCloud.

Read what Microsoft have to say about it.

Apr 25, 2013 3:51 PM in response to Writer238

Writer238,

I have a similar problem. I have just upgraded to Lion and now Outlook does not Sync with Icalendar anymore. Maybe I am missing the point here but it seems to me that the solution was: switch on SyncServices in Outlook, so Outlook calendar syncs with ICalendar. Then ICalendar syn to all your other Apple devices through I cloud. Or not ?

My problem is that synce the upgrade Outlook on my Imac is not syncing with Icalendar on my Imac.

Any thoght s anybody ?

Thanks for your help.

Apr 25, 2013 4:05 PM in response to Writer238

I am trying to use Icloud which is why I upgraded to Lion. My understanding is that Icloud would only sync Icaendar with other devices. But if SyncServices worked and sync Outlook Calendar with ICalendar like it used to do before the upgrade then I would be in business. Basically when I upgraded I got ICloud capavility but SyncServices does not work anymore.

Apr 25, 2013 4:17 PM in response to Mikidb

Outlook for Mac does not work with iCloud (although the Windows version does) if you want iCloud don't use Outlook.

SyncServices will sync Outlook with the local (On My Mac) contacts and calendar, but not any subscribed calendars or contacts (eg: iCloud, Google etc)

Before the upgrade there was no iCloud (or any other DAV calendar) so it did not work because it did not exist, don't confuse the 2)

That is it, use Mail Contacts and Calendars, you already have them so no paying out like you did with Outlook.

Apr 25, 2013 11:49 PM in response to Writer238

Many thanks Csound1, now I understand.

Question: if I switch off Icloud will SyncServices start working again. Need to update my Icontacts from Outlook contacts in order to start fresh with Icontact.

Other Question: the reason because I was trying to use Outlook calendar and contacts is because I am fully Apple equipped with the exception of my office (my own business) where I have a PC (for other reasons need PC). IS there Ical and Icontacts for PC basically I would I sync my Iphone etc. with my PC through Icloud. Before upgrade I was using Itunes.

Apr 26, 2013 5:05 AM in response to Mikidb

Mikidb wrote:

Many thanks Csound1, now I understand.

Question: if I switch off Icloud will SyncServices start working again. Need to update my Icontacts from Outlook contacts in order to start fresh with Icontact.

Other Question: the reason because I was trying to use Outlook calendar and contacts is because I am fully Apple equipped with the exception of my office (my own business) where I have a PC (for other reasons need PC). IS there Ical and Icontacts for PC basically I would I sync my Iphone etc. with my PC through Icloud. Before upgrade I was using Itunes.

SyncServices shoud work with the local data, yes.

Outlook for Windows is an iCloud client, you would use it on your PC and iCal etc on your Mac in order to use iCloud.

Your phone is not sync'd to your PC, it is sync'd to iCloud.

How to sync Outlook for MAC with iCal, Address book on Lion OS/iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.