Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

13" MacBook Pro audio line in problem

Hello,

i would like to use my MacBook Pro audio line in to record. I have followed the instructions on how to alter the audio port so it is audio in rather than out. However, in the sound section of system preferences under the input tab, there is no option to select 'use audio for:' meaning i am unable to make the audio jack into a line in.

Is there anything that can be done?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Feb 10, 2013 7:22 AM

36 replies

Feb 10, 2013 11:42 AM in response to Gladderz

Gladderz wrote:

Hello,

i would like to use my MacBook Pro audio line in to record. I have followed the instructions on how to alter the audio port so it is audio in rather than out. However, in the sound section of system preferences under the input tab, there is no option to select 'use audio for:' meaning i am unable to make the audio jack into a line in.

Is there anything that can be done?

The current 13" MBP's do not have an audio in, you will need to buy a USB audio interface.

Feb 10, 2013 12:46 PM in response to Bronko

Bronko wrote:

This is what I do:

Click on the Apple in the top left corner of the screen and open system preferences. Then open the Sound preferences. On the bottom of that window you can toggle the audio jack between sound input and sound output.

Bronko

Why do you continue posting this? below is a picture and Apples spec of the current 13" MBP

User uploaded file

Note the complete absence of an Audio Input.

Below is a 15", it has an Audio input and if the OP had a 15" your suggestion would be correct,

User uploaded file

but the OP doesn't have a 15"

Mar 24, 2013 10:15 AM in response to Csound1

I'd be very surprised if this were the case - virtually every mac made for years has audio in - usually the headphone socket doubles up as an input socket and on the newer ones, input/output is recognised automatically. . I have a 2009 macbook 13" (not pro) and the headphone socket doubles as input - Have used many times to record vinyl..

Check this: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3625?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Mar 24, 2013 10:27 AM in response to manofdogz

manofdogz wrote:

Go to:

Apple Symbol (upper left) > About this Mac > More Info > System Report.

Under 'Hardware' select Audio > Devices. It should say 'built in input' and 'built in output'

If it does, you have a dual function headphone socket.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3625?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Almost unheard of for a mac not to have audio input

Almost doesn't cut it.

On any model up to Mid 2011 you are correct, after that the 13" models lost the line in,

Here is a link to the model specification, look for yourself. (Make sure you click on the 13" link, the 15" does have an Audio in)

Mar 24, 2013 10:35 AM in response to Gladderz

Actully - bit more research shows Apple did remove Audio Input from Retina Display models. Not announced tho so you find out the hard way. Have to use USB Audio as mentioned elsewhere or apparently the iRig works with the headphone socket as it does for iPad....

Bad form from Apple not announcing this as Audio in has always been a feature on the moist basic models

Mar 24, 2013 10:45 AM in response to manofdogz

manofdogz wrote:

Actully - bit more research shows Apple did remove Audio Input from Retina Display models.

Sorry, wrong again.

It was removed on 13" MBP but the MBPr still has an audio in (at microphone level). All 15" models have Audio In (Retina or otherwise)

The published specifications correctly identify which models have Audio In and which do not, finding out 'the hard way' is a sympton of leaping without looking.

Mar 24, 2013 1:00 PM in response to Csound1

Thanks for the clarification. Of course you're right that you should always check the spec of a model you're thinking of buying. Neverthless, removing a function that has always been spec'd on even the most basic models is bound to catch a lot of people out. If it exists on my 'entry level' 2009 13" you would hadly expect it to be arbitrarily removed from a Pro model (even though they're all Pro models now). MacRumours thread below shows Apple Care themselves diagnosed such a machine as faulty - If they don't know your average punter will certainly get caught out. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1389284.

Obvious changes get picked up and publicised very quickly - e.g. the mac mini dropping the superdrive. But changes like this are much more subtle and it would be to Apple's credit if they made it clearer..

Still, next time I buy a Mac I'll certainly take your advice and look before I leap.

13" MacBook Pro audio line in problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.