Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Facetime mobile number ipad 4 ios 6.0.1

Dear all,

I am having a little bit of trouble and so far despite searching and searching I can not find an answer or resolution that works

I have recently got the iPad retina display (iPad 4) on mobile data (cellular) with T-Mobile UK 3G (aka EE, everything everywhere) and wi-fi.

I have one iTunes account and ONLY this device - onle ONE device which is synced using iCloud only.

I put the sim in and set everything up

However in Facetime & iMessage I did see the mobile number showing - on software 6.0.1

However since updating there and then to 6.1.1 the mobile number is NOT showing in Facetime and iMessage but instead my email address used for apple id greyed out

I can add new email but no mobile number - and even when I type my mobile number it obviously comes up with error with email or something to that effect.

I have reset to factory settings, tried signing in and out of apple ID both within the facetime and imessage settings as well as iCloud, itunes and store

The mobile number is also registered to my apple id correctly

But still my number is not being picked up as a point of contact as well as the apple id email address.

So I have the following questions:

1. Is it possible to add the designated mobile number from the sim card to iMessage and Facetime as well as the email address greyed out?

2. If yes to question 1 - how bearing in mind the above steps I have taken to resolve the issue which have not resolved the issue?

3. If no to question 1 - why not? as iphones on the same ios software uses a mobile number a point of contact in facetime and imessage

Thanks in advance everyone

iOS 6.1.1, iPad 4 (with retina display)

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 2:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 2:41 PM

I believe that iOS 6.1 no longer uses the cellular data number of an cellular-enabled iPad as a "You can be reached by iMessage at:" ID for iMessage. This may have something to do with the fact that these numbers cannot receive SMS messages but I'm not sure of that.

An iPhone will have its number listed as a "You can be reached by iMessage at:" ID. On the iPhone you cannot de-select this ID. It is checked and grayed out. If you also have an iPad under the same Apple ID as the iPhone, I believe the iPhone number is also available as an ID on your iPad. This ID can be unchecked but not deleted

This appears to be what happens. As for the rationale for this I am unaware of it.

If anyone knows why let us know.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2013 2:41 PM in response to CentricMalteser

I believe that iOS 6.1 no longer uses the cellular data number of an cellular-enabled iPad as a "You can be reached by iMessage at:" ID for iMessage. This may have something to do with the fact that these numbers cannot receive SMS messages but I'm not sure of that.

An iPhone will have its number listed as a "You can be reached by iMessage at:" ID. On the iPhone you cannot de-select this ID. It is checked and grayed out. If you also have an iPad under the same Apple ID as the iPhone, I believe the iPhone number is also available as an ID on your iPad. This ID can be unchecked but not deleted

This appears to be what happens. As for the rationale for this I am unaware of it.

If anyone knows why let us know.

Feb 12, 2013 3:51 PM in response to JimHdk

Hi Jim,

Thankyou for replying so quickly - I also thought that in regards to the cellular data number which I thought is rather perculiar but also understand why as if an imessage doesn't get sent it turns into an sms which ipads do not do - so you confirmed what I was thinking quietly.

I will find out tommorow also as I have another iPad coming for my girlfriend (Valentines day present) and so will see if this presents the same issue once updated the software - if it does I will let all know

In the meantime I still appreciate other views as well concerning this

Thanks again

Feb 12, 2013 4:30 PM in response to ckuan

my apologies - with it being a confusing issue already it seemed like that what was the implication

I take onboard the iPad is not a phone, however one would assume because the iPad sim has a mobile number for cellular data that this may also be used for Facetime and iMessage.

I can see why it would cause issues for iMessage (if iMessage fails then an sms is sent and iPad does not do sms)

however on the other hand whats the point in having a cellular mobile number - why not just have a cellular username and password?

Facetime mobile number ipad 4 ios 6.0.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.