Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has anyone been able to upgrade a mid-2007 20-inch to 4GB?

I have been tryng to install 2 2GB memory modules in my mid-2007 iMac and it will not boot with both memory modules installed. When I go to several memory suppliers they say that this model will only allow 3GB, but the Apple specs say 4GB.

Has anyone beena bel to upgrade to 4GB?

I have now gone through 2 upgrade kite trying to make 4GB work wihtout success. This is getting costly.

Thanks,

Jeff

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 8:26 AM

18 replies

Feb 15, 2013 8:43 AM in response to stedman1

This is what Crucial states:

Your iMac 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (20-inch)System Specs

System specs as shipped by the manufacturer.
Scan your systemto view your specific system configuration.

Memory:

DDR2 PC2-5300 User uploaded file

Memory Type: DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 3GB
Slots: 2

User uploaded file

Maximum memory is reached by using one 2GB SODIMM and one 1GB SODIMM.The SSD is fully funtional in the system, but we do not offer a mounting solution at this time. An alternate mounting solution will need to be used.

User uploaded file

Memory or DRAM is the "working" memory of the computer. It's used to store data for programs (sequences of instructions) on a temporary basis.

So, accordign to them them maximum memory is 3GB.

Jeff

Feb 15, 2013 9:17 AM in response to stedman1

Hi Steadmen1,

Here are my specs:

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac7,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 3 GB

If there is a way to upgrade to 4GB (or 6GB) it would be great since I have been manipulating soem big files and more memory helps.

I may need to shop for a newer iMac.

Thanks,

Jeff

Feb 25, 2013 7:27 AM in response to jeffgardiner

I have the 2.4 Ghz version and that takes 6GB and reacted fine. I checked MacTracker and that suggests 6GB for both 2Ghz and 2.4Ghz. Having said that I have seen several references to 4GB being loaded and only 3GB registering.

Just general info. Incidentally, it shouldn't cost you too much; most suppliers will accept back memory that doesn't work; Crucial, here in the UK does.

May 19, 2015 10:36 AM in response to jeffgardiner

have you tried taking the ram out and getting any dust that is one it of it?

or cleaning it? (obviously do NOT use water)

my imac mid 2007 works great with 4gb ram and i'm thinking of upgrading to 6gb because i game a lot and i'd love to play ksp with better performance.

also not so long ago i started developing in unity so it's becoming a must....

i need a better mac.

Jun 2, 2015 7:52 PM in response to gaminggamingNL subscribe

Had the same problem with my 20" 2.0 Mid-2007 - MA876LL iMac 7,1 A1224 2133

The system came with 1GB and tried to upgrade with a 2GBx2 A-tech kit sold by Amazon specifically for this alu iMac. When attempted to run the system I got a beep sound and the computer didn't start. Retried with 3 GB (tested both modules) and worked just fine.

I decided to give a try to the OWC 6GB (4+2) upgrade and for some reason it worked flawlessly. I even tested with the 4GB and the original 1GB kit and got the system running on 5GB too. I'm not sure what is special on the OWC upgrade but it will work.

Mar 26, 2016 7:03 AM in response to papo_md

Hey, papo_md

I am new to this forum and this is my first entry. Having recently bought 4GB of RAM (2x2) for my sons' mid '07 iMac 7,1 20" 2.0Ghz computer, and encountered the same problem of it not booting in the 2x2 configuration as you and others, I am intrigued by how you got yours to work with 4+2 and 4+1 configurations. I'm not technically competent, and am still confused as to what is the correct RAM to get. In relation to that, I'd be grateful if you can advise whether your iMac RAM that does work in the 2+4 combination is 667Mhz or 800Mhz ? The comments I have read suggest this is the most important factor.

Thank you and every else for their input.

Has anyone been able to upgrade a mid-2007 20-inch to 4GB?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.