Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My brand new 7th gen. iPod Nano has gone COMPLETELY dead

My brand new (February 2; it is now February 15) seventh generation iPod Nano has gone completely dead. Its battery should be fully charged. It has no response of any kind, whether plugged into my computer or not. It just has a totally black screen and no sound comes out through the earphones. It does not even show the "connected" screen when plugged into my computer. I suppose I must return it for a replacement, but is there any method short of that by which I might revive it?

iPod nano, Other OS, iPod nano is 7th gen. O/S is Win 8.

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 12:44 PM

16 replies

Feb 15, 2013 1:59 PM in response to Dr. Planarian

Interesting that you have this problem too. I went to listen to mine one day and got a flickering screen a couple times then it went blank. I could connect to my PC and it would do a restore but I could not get it to display anything. I called Apple and was all set to send it back for warranty and it sat a couple days and then I received the box to send it back. I tried one last time to see if it was still dead and it turned on. Funny thing was the screen was now in German and not English? After I got that worked out the darn thing has worked perfectly?

I have 10 days to decide before the box label is void. Trying to figure out what happened?

Feb 15, 2013 2:01 PM in response to Dr. Planarian

i'm going to ask you to try something I just did to fix a maybe simular problem that worked..... but I don't know why yet........make sure your iPod in plugged into your computer (mine is a Mac) and iTunes is turned on. My iPod was also "dead" but had been plugged into my computer for a couple of hours (but not lit up in any way). Then (in desperation) I held down all the buttons, the on/off (on top right), the small Home botton at the bottom of the face, and the volume/pause buttons (left side). For whatever reasons my iPod came back to life in a needs restoring mode ....and asked me to restore it in the itunes like "new' iPod connected mode. Since I have a Mac I also had to give permission to do a download by entering my computer password. If you have to do the same have that password ready. Then it did a restore software download. Everything previously on the iPod was erased and had to be re-synced, but I was just thankful to get it up and restored again.

Give this a shot and I hope it works for you.....but why? I don't know yet, I need more questions answered.

Feb 16, 2013 5:54 AM in response to Dr. Planarian

My iPod has now come back to life, but it was all very strange. I tried all of those things including a reset without it helping. Finally I called Apple phone support.

One of the things I had tried was to plug it back into my computer, and it did nothing; it did not even recognize that anything had been plugged into it at all, not even an "unknown device" message. I had tried everything the Apple tech suggested in nearly an hour on the phone with him (including plugging it in and trying to get iTunes to recognize it, and trying a reset a couple more times) to no avail and he was preparing to send me a new one under warranty when I said, "I'm going to try one last thing again," (that I had tried before several times already) and I plugged it back into my computer despite Einstein's admonition about the definition of insanity -- trying the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result THIS time.

But THIS time I DID get an unknown device message, with the notation that the device on this port had reported an error condition. It was stil not showing anything in my drive listing, although it showed up as an "unknown device" in my Device Manager, with all properties, drivers, etc. unknown. Because this was somehow different from the way it had worked just moments earlier, I again tried a reset, and this time it worked. The iPod came back to life and everything was completely intact, including having it come up playing the last song I had been playing the day before.

I plugged it back into my computer and it behaved normally in every respect. It sync'ed in iTunes, showed up as a "removable storage" drive in "My Computer," and appeared correctly in my device manager.

When inanimate objects miraculously heal I am always a bit suspicious, so the tech and I agreed to leave the service ticket open and that it would be replaced if it happened again.

Note that I had not left it charging for a long period (about four hours via a USB2 port on my computer) prior to its little crash, and I had used it quite recently (just the day before).

All's well that ends well, so I guess I'll chalk this up to one of life's little mysteries.

Jul 23, 2013 11:10 PM in response to bongzki_02

wow, it worked! Why is that normal? Mine, which is like 2 weeks old, went black (being fully charged) while I was listening some music. I just tried this on/off and home button combination and its alive again... should I consider getting a new one or this ir really normal and will help every time if that happens again? Ok, i could believe that this button combination is "normal" and made exactly for this kind of cases, but why ipod going totally dead while im listening to my music would be normal? being fully charged...weird

Apr 3, 2014 6:08 PM in response to Dr. Planarian

As with several others, mine was brand new. I left it to charge overnight and the next day it appeared dead as a doornail. Rebooting it by pressing the home button on the bottom front along with the power button on the top right at the same time caused it to power on and now it is behaving normally. I would love to know if this suggests I am going to have further trouble. I have this 7th gen model because the power buttons on two 6th gen models failed (just outside of the warranty periods). Thanks to all who helped with this issue.

May 5, 2014 6:22 AM in response to JParbo

Mine is only a few months old, I was playing it thru rechargeable Bluetooth speaker. When I plugged the speaker into the charger (while iPod was still playing) the iPod went totally dead, would not turn on or charge, just a blank screen. After reading this forum, I too tried holding both power button and home button at the same time. After a few seconds I got the Apple logo and then all was good. Note to myself: In future, turn off the iPod BEFORE doing anything with the Bluetooth speaker!!

May 8, 2016 10:01 AM in response to Dr. Planarian

Had similar problem with my nano 7 and iPhone 5 cure was to check the charge/sync socket is clear of fluff or other debris and then gently clean internal contacts of socket I used small bud of kitchen roll damped down with a little wd40 . Amazing how mucky it gets this cure has worked so far on my iPad iPhone touch nano 7 and a Samsung galaxy tab

My brand new 7th gen. iPod Nano has gone COMPLETELY dead

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.