Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air wifi only works in Apple Store!!

My 2011 Macbook Air had been decent wifi until I had the disply replaced. Since then it connects and no more. It takes 100 times longer than normal, and sometimes doesn't load at all. And depending on proximity and strength of the network it won't connect at all sometimes.

I took it back in and they checked it out and there was nothing wrong with the hardware and the wifi worked perfectly in the Apple Store.

So I checked around various networks including, three different houses, an iCafe and a University campus. In University it just refused to connect. In some of the others it would connect but as I said take forever.

Other devices connected to the networks had no problems of course. In fact my wifi is 100mbps.

However after a full system erase and reinstall of Mountain Lion (in the Apple store!) the problem persists, and mysteriously it still flies in the Apple Store!

So they of course refused to do anything because they couldn't see a problem. But it doesn't work on any other networks!

MacBook Air, iOS 6.1.1

Posted on Feb 16, 2013 1:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2013 3:24 AM

I've heard this before - the antenna connection was damaged / loosened when the display was replaced. The signal in the store is strong, so it still picks it up without the antenna.

They should fix it for you - not your fault.

18 replies

Feb 16, 2013 6:04 AM in response to Moireach91

Do you have the Bluetooth system turned on? If you do disable it and see if you can connect.

It is my supposition that all Apple stores are using 5Ghz WiFi connections that are not interfered with by having the Bluetooth system turned on where as most all other places are using 2.4Ghz WiFi which is the same frequency that BT uses causing interference. So when all Apple computers are taken to an Apple store for WiFi problems at that location it works fine and the So Called Geniuses send you on your way with the all to common "We don't see any Problem" response.

So you have 2 options (Actually 4 options).

Get a new Router that has Dual Band N connections, 2.4 & 5 Ghz, and use the 5Ghz band. Will work for your home but not other places. Except of course an Apple store.

Disable the BT and never use any device that uses BT.

Take it back to the Apple store and Ask them if they are using the 5Ghz Wifi band and to test it at the 2.4 Ghz band for problems.

Buy a Windows computer and save yourself all these Apple Mac headaches.

Good Luck & Best Wishes

Feb 16, 2013 6:17 AM in response to Shootist007

And your right about the Apple Mac headaches. I've had plenty. The fact that I had to even get the display changed at all was annoying, my Mac just came up with a random bright blotch.

And then my next brand new Macbook came and it was uneven! It was waaay off the level. And the guys at the Apple Store just said sorry there's nothing we can do it's just been made like that (I hadn't bought it direct). And then I noticed even the display on my new Mac has a tiny and not very noticeable bright blotch too!! I'll leave that one till the last week of my warranty lol.

Extremely disappointed in Apple.

However iPad and iPhones have been great.

Feb 16, 2013 7:49 AM in response to Shootist007

Wow! I can't believe it. Switching to 5 Ghz fixed it!!! I was honestly at the stage where I didn't believe anything would fix it. Thanks so much for the advice. I am so annoyed at that genius for not knowing that they were on 5Ghz. He explicitly said and repeated that there was nothing distinctive about their network!

How did this happen only when the display got replaced I wonder?? And why did it happen when I don't even use Bluetooth? (unless it's interference from other flats?)

Feb 16, 2013 8:02 AM in response to Moireach91

Could be they didn't connect the Antenna correctly or just the 2.4G antenna, if a separate antenna, or there is a problem with the antenna or a problem with the dual band WiFi card in your Mac.

Basically you need to go back to the store and have them do a Full check of the system making sure they check the WiFi at ONLY the 2.4G band. And then have them FIX IT.

Feb 16, 2013 8:07 AM in response to Shootist007

Thanks very much for your advice. What a relief. I'm a student and this morning when I was told there was nothing they could/would do for me my Macbook went from being worth about £650 to being worth nothing!

So I appreciate very much your taking the time to respond. A deserved 10 points!

jguther was right too but without the specific thing about the 5Ghz signal I wouldn't have been able to know what it was and go back to the Apple Store, so 5 points for you!

Feb 16, 2013 8:17 AM in response to Moireach91

Not on my systems. Both a Macbook Pro and a Dell E6420 and my routers a Netgear R6200.

Router is in another room and notebooks on my desk about 40 feet from router. Router is on the floor and 5Ghz is stronger then the 2.4.

So I'd say the problem is the Antenna as the reason you are getting 5G signal it is stronger then the 2.4. Could be the same in the Apple store where their WiFi system is in the ceiling right over the counter giving great signal to that area. It may even be at the 2.4g band but I still think they use the 5g band for better coverage, signal strength.

Test by switching back to the 2.4 band and be near the router. If limited or no signal then it is the Antenna or the card.

Feb 16, 2013 8:23 AM in response to Shootist007

Oh great so my new Mac doesn't have great signal either then. I was barely 10 feet away with the doors open and it stopped loading (on 100mbps).

That's very possible. The genius bar is very near to the ceiling of course. Yeh it has limited signal when it's right beside the router and none when you take a few steps away. I think you've hit the nail on the head.

Feb 16, 2013 8:56 AM in response to Shootist007

Uh oh. One more thing!

Can you explain why now that I've switched it back to 2.4Ghz it is actually working as well as it was in 5Ghz!?

That means it is very fast near the router, but the range problem persists but not nearly as bad as it was with 5Ghz. Now it is almost usable a couple of rooms away, through block walls!

It is still much slower than my other Mac from distance, but why on earth did switching it to 5Ghz and back improve it so much!?

Feb 16, 2013 9:23 AM in response to Moireach91

Well your 5G network should have a different name (SSID) then your 2.4 network. That way you can switch fromon e to the other. I actually use the same name on both with 5G after the name on the 5G network.

So the 2.4 would be mySSIDname for the 2.4 and the 5G would be mySSIDname5G for the 5G side.

You make those changes in the routers Wireless setup system. Yes otherwise it get confusing as to which band you are actrually using. Passwords can be the same.

Feb 16, 2013 5:15 PM in response to Moireach91

"Buy a Windows computer and save yourself all these Apple Mac headaches."

Really?

1. It really bothers me when people do this because they are not answering the question, they are simply imputting on their opinion which nobody asked for.

2. I have had 100000000 times more problems with Windows than I ever have had with OS X, especially relating to Wi-Fi, not being a fanboy, just saying.

Macbook Air wifi only works in Apple Store!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.