Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using MS Word for Mac - Can't see cursor

The cursor is the blinking vertical line that lets you know where you are on the page. It keeps disappearing from my word document making it extremely annoying to try to create a document.

How do I get it to be "ON" all the time?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 6:15 AM

34 replies

Mar 28, 2014 12:43 PM in response to drf5n

I found this:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-word/disappearing-cu rsor/6cc6e36a-93df-4d8b-be5b-3aebf6219f35

... which suggested it might be some document-dependent bug. I opened a new, fresh document and noticed that the cursor was more usable. It still disappeared while typing, but did not disappear with ue of the arrow-keys.

I do not like the suggested workaround of re-formatting the document.

Mar 28, 2014 12:12 PM in response to TeachMath

I do not find a "Hide cursor while typing" setting in any of Mac's System preferences/Keyboard|Mouse|Trackpad or Word's Preferences/General|View|Edit settings. It looks like Windows has a "Hide cursor while typing" feature, but that is about the mouse cursor..

I hate this cursor-hiding feature in Mac Word. It is especially annoying when trying to use the arrow keys for navigation. The cursor disappears until you wait a bit, but this makes the auto-repeat feature absolutely useless for moving around.

Jun 19, 2015 8:12 PM in response to TeachMath

Mine disappeared when I changed one of the preset styles that was used in the document without updated the current sections. Once I updated the document sections that used that style (which there is an option to have it automatically update the rest of the document sections that use that style when you have one of them selected), it came back.

Feb 18, 2016 1:23 AM in response to cliffie7

All fixes are nothing but temporary.

Auot-ruler, spell check etc. Nothing works on a permanent basis.

I have the disappearing cursor on 90% of the documents I work on. I can make it go away on purpose just by hitting Ctrl+S (saving the document). If I don't save the cursor stays visible. But only a foll would not save often when working with Ms Word...

The only temporary/easy fix I found is the following:

You can bring back the cursor by changing focus to another Word window, then back to the original file: bam, the cursor is there again.

Microsoft people should be ashamed that this issue has been there for so many years. They even claimed it was fixed with the 14.4 update, which, as noted already in this forum, is not true. I have the latest updates 14,6 and the cursor still disappears regularly.

This issue has gone worse with Yosemite, and even more frequent since I upgraded to Capitan, so I surmise that Apple is not helping either... Actually with Mountain Lion it was only half as bad.

Using MS Word for Mac - Can't see cursor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.