Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Newbie Development Questions

Starting developing for the iPhone for an internal company app.

I have downloaded Xcode and Dashcode. Built a couple of the tutorial apps and ran them on the Simulator.

All that is good; however, I seem to be missing something.

Am I correct in the following statements?

1. Dashcode apps can be run on various device but cannot be installed on the iPhone?
  2. Dashcode apps must be hosted on a webserver or on a Mac?
  3. Xcode apps must have an Apple Developer Certificate before being installed on an iPhone?
  4. To get a Dashcode app installed on an iPhone I must wrap it within an Xcode app? (I have done this and ran it on the simulator but have not installed it on an iPhone.)

My goal (like most) is to develop and install a simple app on my iPhone.

Thank you for your time and responses.

mlcc2000

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 4:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 4:58 AM

I know nothing about Dashcode apps.

But you need a paid developer account to install an app on an iPhone.

2 replies

Feb 21, 2013 7:49 AM in response to mlcc2000

mlcc2000 wrote:

1. Dashcode apps can be run on various device but cannot be installed on the iPhone?
  2. Dashcode apps must be hosted on a webserver or on a Mac?
  3. Xcode apps must have an Apple Developer Certificate before being installed on an iPhone?
  4. To get a Dashcode app installed on an iPhone I must wrap it within an Xcode app? (I have done this and ran it on the simulator but have not installed it on an iPhone.)

1. You could install a Dashcode app onto your home screen by going to Share > Add to Home Screen. It will still be a web app hover

2. Yes, but you can cache web app resources and data.

3. Yes. But if you are doing an internal company app, you may be able to get an enterprise developer account.

4. Yes, but it is a little convoluted. I did it once just to prove it can be done. I think a few people have released apps this way. Most people writing real apps just use Objective-C. People who write dozens of junk apps at a time use those cross-platform tools.

Newbie Development Questions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.