Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2-Port Dual View KVM Switch

I'm about to purchase a 2012 (late fall) Mac Mini. I currently use a G5 Tower w/Tiger, with two monitors VGA monitors. As technology changes faster than I can keep up, is there a chance that "2-Port Dual View KVM Switch" means I could connect two monitors at the same time? I want to be able to switch between the G5 and the Mac Mini.

Part of the discription reads: This new KVM Switch lets you control two dual-head, VGA-enabled USB computers from one USB console that includes two VGA monitors.

Please advise.

Patt

Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5, Mac OS X (10.4.11), 2 Gig Memory

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 2:31 PM

3 replies

Feb 21, 2013 4:58 PM in response to Patt

Nope. KVM switch is a Keyboard/Video/Mouse switch that is most commonly used to have two (or more computers) share one Keyboard/Video/Mouse.

If you want to use two displays you will need two VGA adapters. Or even better, if at least one of your monitors will support DVI (white cable/connectors instead of blue VGA cable/connectors) you can easily get an HDMI to DVI converter that will work flawlessly with one of your monitors and then the Thunderbolt output can be used for the VGA monitor.

Putting two VGA outputs on a late 2012 Mini is a challenge since HDMI is digital only - the Thunderbolt connector on the mini can easily support VGA, the HDMI not so much. I'm getting ready to try the Kanex Adaptorfrom the Apple store.

My other related thread.

Feb 23, 2013 9:19 AM in response to Eric Eskam

Thanks Eric,

I know that Kvm is used to swap between two computers, what I don't know is if there a way to swap dual monitors. If I continue to use my G5, as this has all the software I use, and soon the internet will become less and less usualble on the G5, will the KVM work swaping back and forth if I use two monitor on my G5 and one monitor on my Mac Mini? Of course, my goal is to continue using both my VGA monitors for both Macs.

I'm understanding that since the 2012 Mac Mini only has room for one VGA monitor which is connected to the thunderbold port via an adapter which comes with the Mac Mini (true or false)?

I'm understanding that I could connect the Mac Mini to two VGA monitors if I purchase an adapter that would connect to the HDMI port and using the DVI port/adapter VGA - I can connect two monitors.

But will the KVM have the means for swapping the mouse, keyboard and two monitors back and forth? This is my big hurtle.

This is what I saw on the discription that was different from other KVM discriptions.

"This new KVM Switch lets you control two dual-head, VGA-enabled USB computers from one USB console that includes two VGA monitors."

You were very kind to help, I hope my clarification helps.

Patt

Mar 13, 2013 8:51 AM in response to Patt

Just thought I'd let people know that KVM switches can also (now) be used with dual monitors. I asked the company and this is from their site:

2-Port DualView USB VGA KVMP Switch with cables (TAA Compliance)GCS1742

"The DualView GCS1742 USB KVMP Switch brings dual head video functionality to IOGEAR's USB KVM switch technology. Now two dual-display computers can be accessed and controlled from a single console that consists of a USB keyboard, USB mouse, and two VGA, SVGA, or Multisync monitors. In addition, the GCS1742 allows the computers to share USB peripherals connected to the USB peripheral ports, such as printers, scanners, portable hard drives, etc. Recognizing the importance of sound, this switch is also audio-enabled. A single microphone can provide audio input to each of the computers, and you can enjoy the audio output of each computer on a single set of speakers.

Wait long enough in this changing world, and your wish may come true.

2-Port Dual View KVM Switch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.