Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FireWire 800 vs USB 3?

When using an external hard drive RAID which connection will provide the best performance for VIDEO EDITING?

I know USB 3 has up to 5Gbits/s but is it the best option when editing video?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 27 inch; 2.66 GHz Intel Core i5

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 6:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 7:03 PM

Watch this this on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4jiEY1JgOI

Allan

24 replies

Feb 22, 2013 1:26 PM in response to MichelPM

Since your iMac dosen't and will not do USB 3.0, why do you need to know this?

Because I am looking at purchasing another external hard drive and the one I was looking at [1TB RAID 0 (performance stripe)] does not have USB 3, just eSATA, FW800, FW400 and USB 2.0. Then there was another, non RAID, hard drive that has USB 3 in addition to the other connections.

Mercury Elite Pro Performance 7200RPM RAID

OWC Mercury Elite Pro

I am trying to decide between the two and just preparing for when I update my desktop in the next couple years.

I looked at Thunderbolt Drives as well as SSD but being a student in college, I can not afford either of those options right now.

Feb 22, 2013 1:59 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks. I am happy with it and I have already "worked" 5 Hard Drives.

I am carefull on connecting them. In my opinion the life expectation of their Sata connectors could be not very long. The were designed for a stable installation more than for swapping. But Seagate sells a system with their disc which are the same as mine.

Which is your opinion ?

FireWire 800 vs USB 3?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.