Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PREVIEW: Why doesn't Preview estimate file size when saving-as?

I understand that Preview's "save-as" feature has changed -- now you must duplicate the image first, then save it.

However, when I save a duplicate (which is similar to the old "save-as" feature), I need to have the "Quality" slider linked to a feature that estimates the file size of the image I am saving.

Thhis was a function built right into the old Preview.

How can I enable it in the new Preview?

In other words, how can get Preview to estimate the file size (in KB) of the image I am saving when I slide the "Quality" slider?

Thanks for any help.

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 22, 2013 12:46 PM

19 replies

Feb 22, 2013 12:55 PM in response to Csound1

Thank you for your reply! That's great.

BUT...

What I really need is for Preview to estimate the file size of the image I am saving.

It used to be right there, next to the "Quality" slider. When you moved the slider, it estimated the size of the image you were about to save.

How can I get that to show again?? This is killing me and I really appreciate your help.

User uploaded file

Feb 22, 2013 2:39 PM in response to streptile

Thanks very much. Yes, command-i is helpful when you just need to know the size of the file.

Here's what I use it for: I need to make all images under 250KB to post to a particular website. I do this all the time, but all the images start off in different quality, resolution and size because they're all from different sources. I don't want to change proportions, or resolution, just the file size (quality slider).

So I used to click through them all, one by one, in Preview, and "save-as." I slide the quality slider down for each successive image until the file size is just under 250KB, then I save it.

Without this feature, I have to do a trial-and-error for each image, then "command-i" each one. Some end up over 250KB, some too far under. So I try again on perhaps 90% of them, trying to remember which were too big and which were too small, and over and over again, getting just a few right with each pass, until all images are about the correct size.

Something that used to take 5 minutes (for, say, 50 images) now takes -- no joke -- two hours.

It doesn't seem possible that Apple really eliminated this feature -- and for what reason?

Are there Apple representatives on this board? Or is this just a community of users helping one another?

Anyway, thanks to all who have replied so far. Much appreciated.

Feb 22, 2013 6:27 PM in response to streptile

streptile wrote:

Without this feature, I have to do a trial-and-error for each image, then "command-i" each one. Some end up over 250KB, some too far under. So I try again on perhaps 90% of them, trying to remember which were too big and which were too small, and over and over again, getting just a few right with each pass, until all images are about the correct size.

Something that used to take 5 minutes (for, say, 50 images) now takes -- no joke -- two hours.

It doesn't seem possible that Apple really eliminated this feature -- and for what reason?

I never had cause to need this function, but thinking about I can see how crucial it could be in certain circumstances (yours) and I can't see a way around it!

www.apple.com/feedback

Send your thoughts there, I will as well.

Feb 22, 2013 8:46 PM in response to Csound1

Eric, Network and Csound,

Thank you very much for trying to help me out, and for your replies.

I was really hoping this one would be an easy fix, like "turn it on in the ___ menu, duh" -- but I guess I'm really out of luck here.

I will send a suggestion to Apple, but browsing this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4226927?answerId=21325935022#21325935022

...gives me little hope.

Best,Trevor

PREVIEW: Why doesn't Preview estimate file size when saving-as?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.