Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exporting Large Voice Memos without a computer

I am writing this on behalf of a close friend who owns an iPhone 4. She is using Apple's Voice Memos app to make voice recordings. Last week, she recorded an hour long meeting using that app. The problem is, when she tried to export to Email or Messages, an error dialog appears that says it cannot be done. Obviously, Voice Memos is imposing an export restriction based on filesize. Sadly, it is impossible to know what that restriction is, nor does the app show what the file size of individual recordings are.

I have read that getting large files out of Voice Memos is a simple matter of connecting the iPhone to a computer and firing up iTunes. But my friend, believe it or not, does not have a computer of her own at home. And although it is possible for her to borrow time on someone else's computer, she would prefer to have the ability to solve this problem on her own, and without the need to buy a computer only for this task.

Yes, I am well aware of DropVox, which is a Voice Recording app that will save directly to DropBox. But that does not help my friend get her large voice memo files out of the Voice Memos app. Furthermore, when I helped her install the DropBox app on her iPhone, I was disgusted to see that there is no way to export saved files from Voice Memos to DropBox! (Please spare me the "just send Feedback to Apple" suggestion, as that does not solve my friend's immediate problem).

And so I ask you, without a computer, and without jailbreaking the iPhone 4 my friend owns, how can she get her large saved voice memos out of the Voice Memo app and into DropBox (or an email, or some other place where she can share them)?

I look forward to your replies.

Thank you,

James

Posted on Feb 24, 2013 9:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 12:11 PM

VICTORY!!! I found an awesome app that allows for transfer of voice memos much faster than itunes. I believe it is called i fun box or something like that, in fact there are a lot of free software out there that allows you to transfer. check out another great program here!

Best wishes to anyone who stumbled here through google!

Hope this helped!

40 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2013 12:11 PM in response to Kevin 7

VICTORY!!! I found an awesome app that allows for transfer of voice memos much faster than itunes. I believe it is called i fun box or something like that, in fact there are a lot of free software out there that allows you to transfer. check out another great program here!

Best wishes to anyone who stumbled here through google!

Hope this helped!

May 4, 2013 10:44 AM in response to JDW1

There is one way of doing it,

1)Go into settings and click on SMS,

2) Turn of all SMS and MMS traffic.

3)Go to the voice recording and share it as a MMS

4)Put in a non valid number(just made up number) and send it.

5) You will get a failed sent message notification in with your voice memo in your messages,

6) share that voice memo into your dropbox folder.

A little bit of a hack but it was the only way I could do it, there might be a better way.

Mar 19, 2013 11:40 AM in response to JDW1

Howdy JDW1, I am working on the same problem myself and am looking to get it resolved today!! The only information I have come up with is that once the phone records a memo for a certain amount of time it changes the format to an .mov file for better compression (dont know why) and than is unable to simply transfer it. I used to be able to just transfer it over but now with the updates it makes it a little bit more difficult.

Cheers

Mar 19, 2013 3:38 PM in response to Kevin 7

Unfortunately, Kevin, the app you mention is not an iOS app, so it is not a solution to my friend's problem. As I wrote in my opening post, I made this inquiry on behalf of a friend who owns an iPhone but who does not own a computer, nor does this friend have access to a computer. Therefore, the solution I am looking for needs to get large voice memos off her iPhone without use of any computer.

For those of you who do have a computer, you may find that the following program will do an excellent job of allowing you to explore your iOS device or even use it as an external hard drive:

http://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/

But again, even an excellent program like iExplorer does not help my friend because it requires the use of a computer. So if any of you out there can offer me advice on how to get the voice memos exported to dropbox or otherwise off my friends iPhone WITHOUT USING A COMPUTER, then I look forward to hearing that.

Thank you,

James

Jul 17, 2013 4:39 PM in response to JDW1

I am also having this problem with one exception, my computer won't recognize my phone so I'm forced to look for another way. I tried dropvox but that's only for recordings you are doing now, and this is a recording I made on saturday. There seems to be no way for me to export the recording using just the phone. Can anyone help me?

It's a 3 hour recording. My computer won't recognize my phone (i've gone thru all the steps multiple times & I've tried multiple computers - I believe there's something wrong with the device.) I desperately need to get this recording off of my phone. Please help someone. <3

I'm a mac user with an iPhone 4.

Oct 19, 2013 7:29 AM in response to Axel_Swede

Axel_Swede wrote:

There is one way of doing it,

1)Go into settings and click on SMS,

2) Turn of all SMS and MMS traffic.

3)Go to the voice recording and share it as a MMS

4)Put in a non valid number(just made up number) and send it.

5) You will get a failed sent message notification in with your voice memo in your messages,

6) share that voice memo into your dropbox folder.

A little bit of a hack but it was the only way I could do it, there might be a better way.

Wow, is this hard, I tried to simply email myself a large voice file and basically the email just... disappeared, no error or anything, it was as if it never happened, it was 55 megs so obviously too large but at least they would have told me that.

I was able to (iOS 7) Airdrop the file to another iOS device and that let me save it to Google Drive (I was hoping to Airdrop it to my computer but iOS and OS X aren't seeing each other).

When you did your 'turn off MMS' trick, how did you share the voice memo? I got an error right in the 'voice memos' app itself but nowhere else... there appears to be a file showing but I can't copy it or do anything with it.

Hate to take up your time with this but your solution smacks of genius (how DID you figure that out!?!?) 😕

Dec 10, 2013 6:03 PM in response to JDW1

As far as I remember, my listings cleared out after I made sure the memos were deleted from both the "raw system file" folder as well as the "voice memos" folder in ifunbox- After that, doing a re-sync with iTunes updated my voice memo app and nothing showed up there afterwards (I may have rebooted my phone as well). I can't test it right this second, but again that's what I remember doing the trick, thus I recover deleted voice memos from iPhone successfully.

Everything's fine with my voice memos app now, and I still use it for "quick and dirty" recordings.

Read more here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4946

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766

Jan 8, 2014 1:10 AM in response to Axel_Swede

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

My laptop broke months ago and had the exact same problem. What Axel_Swede suggested worked...kind of.

This is what worked for me:

1. Went into Airplane Mode.

2. Opened the Voice Memos App and sent the recording to myself (own phone number).

3. Opening iMessages, I was prompted to disable Airplane Mode. I did and received the video recording.

4. Click on the video recording that was sent as a message and click the share option. You should be able to save it in Dropbox now! :) NOTE: I use a Dropbox client called Boxie and not the official app itself. I don't know if that will have an effect on anything.

The file saves in .m4a format, which is not supported by Dropbox, so I'm not able to listen to it. Any way around this? Remember, I don't have a laptop. Any apps suggestions that I am able to export .m4a files to / support .m4a files?

P.S. I think you can just skip the Airplane Mode. I just listed out what I tried.

Jan 31, 2014 7:43 AM in response to sharynjo

Works a treat! Genius way of doing it and phone is left in active connect state afterwards! Love it! Just think how much better Apple could perform as a company if they listened to the challenges users have and how they solve them and then incorporate the solutions into their products. Samsung would have out watch out!

Exporting Large Voice Memos without a computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.