Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac doesn't recognize USB keyboard

This happens periodically when I turn on my new iMac from a shut down, but not always. With a USB keyboard plugged in, I get a message that tells me there's no keyboard connected. It's looking for a Bluetooth keyboard, which I don't have, but no matter what I do with my USB keyboard, the computer can't find it. I've tried different USB ports. They work with other devices, but not the keyboard. I thought maybe the keyboard was shot, but it does work about half the time I do this, and it seems to work fine with other computers.

Any thoughts?

iMac G4, Mac OS X (10.3)

Posted on Feb 25, 2013 8:34 AM

16 replies

Nov 11, 2017 12:56 PM in response to Brett Dawson

Nov 2017... and this is still an unresolved PITA. Thank you all for the different hints. Using the bluetooth keyboard which I still have, the following combination of the steps suggested did the trick for me,

Removed the BT keyboard from "System Preferences"

Shutdown the iMac

Unplugged and waited... 10 to 15 minutes maybe?

Removed the batteries from the BT keyboard.

Started the iMac back up

Feb 25, 2013 8:54 AM in response to Brett Dawson

I'm going to tell you how to fix this for a modern iMac using Lion or Mountain Lion. Your profile says you're using an iMac G4 with OSX 10.3 (Panther). I don't know anything about Panther, so my suggestion may not work.

Go to System Preferences>Bluetooth

You will see a list of devices that are currently connected (it will say so), or a bunch of numbers (usually with no name) that probably were connected in the past. Just highlight them and click the "-" button at the bottom to delete those profiles.

I bought a new iMac but switched out the Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse for a USB keyboard (need the numbers pad) and a Trackpad. But during manufacturing, they paired the original Mouse and Keyboard to my iMac, so they remained in the profile. One day, on startup my iMac was searching for those two items, which blocked the use of my keyboard. I finally remembered something about this from a problem I had a few years ago, deleted the profiles, and now it works.

Give it a try.

Feb 25, 2013 9:12 AM in response to Brett Dawson

OK, in the same preference panel, turn off discoverable (it's possible it's trying to find another bluetooth device somewhere). And then click on Advanced, and click off "Open Bluetooth Setup Assistant at startup if no keyboard is detected."

If you ever need to add another Bluetooth device, just remember, you'll have to turn on discoverable.

Jan 24, 2015 5:51 PM in response to Brett Dawson

MY 2013 IMAC occasionally does not see my usb keyboard. The forums have been my salvation. I finally did the following. I plugged in my phone into my keyboard. Turned off the computer. Unplugged the keyboard, mouse, headset system, and also unplugged the computer. I waited for all the little bytes of whatever to be quiet and turned my computer back on. I plugged in everything again, beginning with the keyboard that has the phone still attached. It worked. Once I got into my computer, the 4th time I went through this, I went to Preferences and deleted every single BLUETOOTH device, and turned off BLUETOOTH. I hope I have solved the problem and wish you all good luck. To Apple, I say this, "You have more money than you know what to do with, you are buying back stock, why not hire some programmers to solve these annoying issues we have, and add more trained personal to your not so genius, Genius Bar". Customer service is a beautiful thing.

Feb 6, 2015 9:51 AM in response to DJ PalomaVuelo

I have a similar issue as well where my iMac with not recognize my extended keyboard from time to time and have gone through similar trouble shooting as above. I am running the latest version of Apple's OS.

Background - I purchased an extended keyboard (one that has the numeric keys on the right side to replace the smaller version that came with my iMac because a couple of keys went bad. No big deal, I expect stuff wears out over time. Ever since using the new extended keyboard, I've been having problems with my iMac recognizing the USB keyboard. The bluetooth screen comes up and says it can't locate my bluetooth keyboard (which I don't have) but does not recognize my USB extended keyboard. In fact, I kept my old keyboard (the one with two keys that don't work) and can plug that back in and it works but the new extended keyboard does not. I took the new keyboard back to an Apple store and they tested it out and everything was fine at the store. I mention this to give technicians perhaps a clue where to start looking. This might be an issue between the extended keyboard vs. the compact keyboard. At times, e.g. right now, my extended keyboard works but only if I have the other compact keyboard plugged in as well. I have had and continue to enjoy Apple products because they seem to work extremely well however, Apple has an issue here that needs addressing.

Mar 12, 2015 2:51 PM in response to Brett Dawson

I have had this same keyboard / bluetooth / recognition problem off and on since buying my iMac in 2014. I have spent countless hours on the phone with Techs, have taken the iMac into an Apple Genius bar where I was told nothing was wrong / clean installed the system after the problem persisted (on the advice of another Apple Tech) -- and the problem still hasn't been solved. Deselecting the keyboard in the Bluetooth Preferences worked for now... Thanks. I'm surprised that this problem can be mentioned on the Apple Discussion site without any of the people at Apple being aware that this is a problem.

Oct 8, 2015 3:30 AM in response to Brett Dawson

Hi All

Just had this same problem with the Apple USB extended keyboard. I think i may have solved this.

You have to remove both the keyboard AND the mouse from the Bluetooth control panel, then restart from the power button (as you won't have any other input.)

You'll find the Apple keyboard is connected then the system will then try to find the 'new' mouse input. After a while it will locate your wireless mouse and either connect straight away or give you a pairing number.

This worked for 2013 model iMac. with Capitain.

Oct 29, 2015 4:09 PM in response to DJ PalomaVuelo

Many, many thanks for the hint with the "connect phone to keyboard". I tried everything at least 100 times (well, this is how it felt) and couldn't even get into the deactivate BT part, because I could't type my password to access the computer. It worked as soon as I followed the procedure with the phone.

I wasn't aware of how many people have that USB problem with the extended keyboard. Mine worked fine for the first several years, don't remember which SW update added this problem. Thanks again, everybody!

iMac doesn't recognize USB keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.