Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MS office 2011 powerpoint freeze

Anyone have problems with Powerpoint 2011 (MS for MAC 2011) not responding to remote or keyboard advance of slides? This began about 2 months ago:When in Presenter View I'm unable to advance the slides/animate using any remote or even the keyboard. I can only do so by placing the cursor on the advance arrow on the slide.

I've tried this with several files, several projectors and the only common denomenator is that the presentation has been open for at least 20 minutes. When I trial it, first turn it on it works but not after that. Very frustrating and limiting as a professional speaker. I've been told it is an incompatibility issue between MS Office Powerpoint and my Macbook Air but that is not helpful. I've alerted MS and the one patch/update did not resolve it. I'm ready to purchase a small netbook: not what I want to do but have 10 presentations in the next month. Ideas? Suggestions?

MacBook Air, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 10:39 AM

27 replies

Feb 28, 2013 5:09 PM in response to betteralternative

I have been able to use the files on non- apple products so was left with little choice: Today I purchased an Acer Aspire Netbook, and MS office 2013, not what I wanted to do but will not compromise the quality of my reputation while Aople and Microsoft dance this dance.

I'll use this machine until this issue resolves. My other thought was to transfer the presentations to Keynote, but I've never liked it very much. I've found Keynote doesn't offer the same diversity of themes, animation or perhaps enough for me.

It is disappointing that a patch hasn't been developed.

Mar 6, 2013 11:46 AM in response to epflcswccm

Hi - quick note as I'm right in the middle of a presentation. Been having this exact same issue for a couple of weeks now. On lunch I down loaded Keynote and am now running the Powerpoint through Keynote. Had issues all morning with PP and non so far this afternoon. Give it a try and let me know how it goes. Maybe this is Apples way of getting us to use Keynote (Hmmmmm!!) It's a quick $20 work around.

Mar 19, 2013 5:01 AM in response to missusmccallum

It was the Lion OS update at the end of January. I was all excited about the latest OS update; thought it would do the trick. I broke out my laptop, LCD projector and did a trial. After 15 minutes or more on a single slide, froze up again. Frequently my slides elicit discussion so this has to be fixed. It wasn't an issue prior and I'm frankly tired of the finger pointing that presents is happening between MAC and MS. 😠

Apr 30, 2013 7:49 AM in response to epflcswccm

I confirm this behavior which started a few months ago. Presenter mode, two monitors, advance fails from remote and also from the keyboard. The only workaround I find is to exit the presentation mode, then restart from same slide.

I see the problem when: Two monitors, Presenter mode, Remote control. Happens with different brands of remote. I suspect it will happen without the remote, but I have not tested this.

I support several professional speakers who are having a devil of a time with this problem. Thanks for the suggestion of reinstall; will give it a try.

MS office 2011 powerpoint freeze

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.