Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ICS files will not open on Iphone 5

ICS files (sent through email from someone using outlook) will not open on my iPhone 5. Software is all up to date. I'm almost postive this used to work perfectly. Is anyone else having this problem or know why this may have stopped working?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 7:05 AM

8 replies

Jan 23, 2014 2:39 PM in response to lalal14b

Here's a workaround that's worked very well for me, which is based on the fact that the gmail app can handle outlook invites:

1. Create a rule that sends a copy of all invitation requests to your gmail account

2. Generate a link to your gmail calendar to be used for sharing

3. Use that link to add a calendar to your iCloud account, which will sync with your gmail calendar

4. Open your calendar invite from the gmail app. When you accept the invite it will notify the sender, the event will be added to your gmail calendar and then automatically be added to your IOS calendar.

Once setup properly it works very smoothly. Hope that helps.

Jan 19, 2015 4:38 AM in response to wim138

wim138Aug 7, 2013 10:01 PM Re: ICS files will not open on Iphone 5
Re: ICS files will not open on Iphone 5in response to lalal14b

In most cases, you only have to slide the calendar to 'ON' in your exchange settings.

Settings > Email, contacts, > your account > switch Calendars to ON.

simple as that.

This worked for me, closed my email and calendar programs. Turned on the Calendar option as suggested and opened email up and was able to once again add ICS to my calendar from email..

Thanks !

Apr 28, 2015 8:54 AM in response to vw4evr

With the latest update, one of our phones decided not to do anything with ics attachments. I turned off the calendar in settings and it disappeared from Calendar (as expected). However, it would not turn back on after switching it back on in Settings (it never showed up again in Calendar). I had to completely remove that account from the phone, and add it back up. After a reboot and a good 5 minutes of sitting on the desk, the phone finally rang with new email, the calendar came back, and attachments worked like they used to.

Weird to say the least.

If in doubt, uninstall, reinstall, reboot, wait.

ICS files will not open on Iphone 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.