Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Snow Leopard Server now for sale by Apple for $19.99!

Now available by telephone request only: 1.800.MYAPPLE (1.800.692.7753).

Apple Part Number: MC588Z/A

Restore your ability to run PowerPC applications on your Lion or Mt. Lion Mac by easily installing Snow Leopard Server (with Rosetta) into Parallels or VMWare Fusion:

User uploaded file

[click on image to enlarge]

Adobe CS2, now downloadable from Adobe for free, running in SLS in Parallels

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 2011 - 10.6.8 running in Parallels

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 10:42 AM

23 replies

May 10, 2014 12:22 AM in response to MlchaelLAX

Is there a way to get this in Australia, please? I tried putting the part number in the Apple store and it wasn't found.

I already own Snow Leopard server on a Mac Mini but want to put it on a VMWare so that I can upgrade the Mac Mini and continue to use old programs on the VMware. However you can't instal a customised install disk on another computer.

I already have the serial number, I just need a download of the retail version installer.

May 10, 2014 10:38 AM in response to AspirationI

Try calling Apple in Austrailia and asking for part number MC588Z/A: Apple Sales Support on 133 MAC (622)

Consider partitioning your Mac Mini's internal hard drive or add an external drive and install Mavericks there. Then you can continue to run SL natively using "dual-booting" (System Preferences: Startup Disk)

DO NOT install Mavericks over Snow Leopard as that will destroy your SL environment.

What does this statement mean?

"However you can't instal a customised install disk on another computer."

May 11, 2014 4:32 PM in response to MlchaelLAX

Thanks Michael. Done. $24.99 posted in Australia.

Thanks for the tip on the Mac Mini. I will install Mavericks on the second drive or partition as suggested.

If you try to install the system disk that comes with the Mac Mini on the VM Ware virtual instance the installer stops and tells you that the target system is not the correct hardware. Apparently there is a way to fix that by going into the terminal and adding the hardware to the list, but it sounded a bit risky. The retail disk which should run on any machine sounds a lot safer. Thanks again.

May 13, 2014 2:06 PM in response to Eric Root

I have 99% experience personally with Parallels, as this was the virtualizating software I purchased after obtaining my first Intel Mac (after using VirtualPC for my Windows' needs on my old iMac G5 before it died!).

So I just continued to use Parallels as my virtualization software when I developed a method to install Snow Leopard client back in the days when Snow Leopard Server retailed for $499! So, finally, I just continued to use Parallels when Apple dropped the price of Snow Leopard Server by 95% to the same $20 as its client version.

I did obtain a trial version of VMWare Fusion 4 for the purpose of attempting to run Tiger (Intel) in it pursuant to instructions by a German blogpost. However I was never able to get it to work successfully. I contacted the blogger and he told me it would work in Fusion 2 and he thought he was then able to upgrade it to version 4.

I purchased a copy of VMWare Fusion 2 off of eBay and was suggessful at that level, but never in getting it to work in Fusion 4. Then my needs to run Tiger for that project disappeared, so I dropped that project:

User uploaded file

[click on image to enlarge]

In theory, Snow Leopard Server should easily install into both VMWare Fusion 4 and VirtualBox.

On an interesting sidenote, I was able to "extract" the licensed copy of Windows XP from VirtualPC and it is that copy that I used first in Bootcamp in Leopard and Snow Leopard and now in Parallels on my Lion Mac Mini!

Eric Root wrote:

You usually post about installing Snow Leopard Server in Parallels. In this post you also mention VMWare Fusion.

Where did I mention VMWare Fusion?

Snow Leopard Server now for sale by Apple for $19.99!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.