Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture is reseting all my curves! HELP!

I'm not sure what is happening, but this is a major crisis!!! For some reason starting today, aperture is reseting all my curves adjustments! What would happen is, when I click on a picture to view it the curve would should momentarily for half a second (I could even be able to see the actual curve on the left) and then after that aperture would reset it. It doesn't reset it to the default state, what it would do is set the left and right slider to match the lowest blacks and highest white. Please help me, how do I stop this? I don't want to retouch my entire photo library!

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 11:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 1:44 AM

I have never seen this happen before. It looks like Aperture were reprocessing your images for an upgraded raw processing.

What is your Aperture version and your Mac OS X version?

How did you apply the Curves-adjustments? Are they part of a plug-in package with predefined adjustments, that you installed as an add-on? Or did you define your own Curves-presets?

Have you upgraded Aperture recently? Installed any plug-ins? Moved your Aperture Library? Did you have any crashes or needed to force-quit?

Do you shoot raw or in another image format? Where is your library located? Is it referenced or managed?

And do you have a backup or vault, where you could restore your library from? If not, I'd recommend to make a backup asap, before you touch, edit, and currupt any more image versions.

Regards

Léonie

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 11, 2013 1:44 AM in response to aapl.crox

I have never seen this happen before. It looks like Aperture were reprocessing your images for an upgraded raw processing.

What is your Aperture version and your Mac OS X version?

How did you apply the Curves-adjustments? Are they part of a plug-in package with predefined adjustments, that you installed as an add-on? Or did you define your own Curves-presets?

Have you upgraded Aperture recently? Installed any plug-ins? Moved your Aperture Library? Did you have any crashes or needed to force-quit?

Do you shoot raw or in another image format? Where is your library located? Is it referenced or managed?

And do you have a backup or vault, where you could restore your library from? If not, I'd recommend to make a backup asap, before you touch, edit, and currupt any more image versions.

Regards

Léonie

Mar 11, 2013 9:50 AM in response to léonie

Thanks for your feedback, I'll try to answer all those questions:

I'm using latest version of OSX.

I'm using latest version of Aperture.

I applied the curves adjustments by using the curves brick. Sometimes I use effects/presets that put in their own curves.

I use the niksoftware plugins sometimes, but it basically creates a new file so it doesn't really have anything to do with the curves.

I have no upgraded aperture recently, or installed anything. However two things I did in the past few days:

1) Aperture crashed randomly at one time. I just relaunched it and it seems to run just fine so I just continued.

2) Aperture imported some photos from my camera and it says "Raw format not recognized" so what I did was rebuilt my database (by holding option+alt when launching). Afterwards the unrecognized images are shown.

My entire library is managed, no references. I only shoot RAW.

I have a time machine backup but no vaults. I'm going to roll back to a time machine version 3-4 days ago and see if the curves is still a problem. I will report back.

Mar 11, 2013 3:03 PM in response to aapl.crox

I don't recall if an initial rebuild triggered the problem. I just remember opening Aperture one day and watching it change photo after photo that I'd select in the viewer. I don't remember what I was working on or if I was troubleshooting something else. But I can say that I proved to myself that a rebuild will repeat the problem; I just can't confirm if it was an initial cause.

Mar 11, 2013 7:53 PM in response to aapl.crox

The ONLY thing I saw change were the curves adjustment brick. Each of the other adjustments remained the same for the pictures. Metadata remained unchanged as well. Did you happen to read through the past discussion I linked? The article from apertureexpert.com described what the curves changed to. Essentially it replaced my s-curve adjustment with the "old" style curve adjustment. And it happened to any photo I had adjusted in the library, not just a few certain projects, but any and all photos that had a curves adjustment applied. Ouch.

My library is referenced so it was a little less painful for me to restore but it ticked me off nonetheless.

Mar 11, 2013 7:59 PM in response to aapl.crox

No, knowing won't help fix it as far as I know. I got lucky in that I had a recent Time Machine backup & I didn't lose tons of work. I hope you're able to find an answer because I've looked around the web a bunch & couldn't find any relief.

Here's the article:

http://www.apertureexpert.com/tips/2011/11/10/new-auto-curves-behavior-getting-t he-old-way-back.html

My bug was like I option-clicked the auto button in the curves brick, as he described.

Aperture is reseting all my curves! HELP!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.