Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto library won't show in Screensaver

I've been using OSX for years and have always had my Screensaver set to show photos from my iPhoto library. This has been working flawlessly for years across many iterations of the Operating System, but a few days ago it stopped and instead my Screensaver started showing photos from a National Geographic album.

I've tried everything I can think of to get it to show my iPhoto Library photos again but no matter what I do the iPhoto option doesn't show up in the list of sources within the Screensaver preference pane.

If I go to the Desktop tab then iPhoto is there and I can select events, photos or any number of individual albums from iPhoto to display as my desktop picture but once I go to the Screen Saver tab the only options I get are National Geographic, Serial, Cosmos and Nature Patterns. This is very frsutrating as it has been working perfectly up until a few days ago. How do I get my iPhoto photos to show up in my screensaver?

OS 10.8.2

iPhoto '09 (8.1.2)

Thanks,

Alan.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 1:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 7:54 AM

Upgrade to the current version of iPhoto in the App Store.

20 replies

Mar 11, 2013 9:03 AM in response to Linc Davis

I'd thought about doing that but noticed that the latest iPhoto gets loads of really bad reviews and feedback so might create ore problems than it solves.

The screensaver was working perfectly with this version of iPohot a few days ago so surely there must be a way of getting it working as it was then.. Nothing has changed in the meantime, just the fact that iPhoto no longer shows up in the Screen Saver Preference pane... What could have caused this?

Thanks,

Alan.

Mar 13, 2013 12:05 AM in response to Alan Cole

OK, I took the plunge, gave Apple yet more money and upgraded to iPhoto '11... All went smoothly, the download took about 6 hours to complete but I left it overnight and it did its thing. Got up this morning and accoring to the App Store progress bar it had hung whilst installing with 2 minutes to go and there is still a progress bar on my Applications Folder and a file in there with a progress bar on it called iPhoto.appdownload.

Despite this iPhoto '11 seems to be working and it has updated all of my photo libraries and seems to be working as it should. Better still I once again have the screensaver working showing my iPhoto libraries. Quite why it stopped in the forst place I'll never know but the update seems to have cured it.

Hopefully a restart will get rid of the progress bar on my Applications Folder, if not I guess it will be safe to delete the iPhoto.appdownload file from the Applications Folder?

Thanks for you help.

Alan.

Mar 13, 2013 12:07 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hmm, maybe... It's all working now though. Only problem is that because the iPhoto libraries have been updated to work with the new version of iPhoto my online backup solution (Carbonite) seems to think that all the files are new and so it needs to upload 174GB of data!!!! That'll take at least a year at my current upload speeds! 😟

Alan.

iPhoto library won't show in Screensaver

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.