Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS X 10.8.3 Bootcamp on 3 TB iMac

Hello,

I have reformatted my 3 TB iMac in 1 partition and installed Mac OS X 10.8 plus the update to 10.8.3 in order to finally use Windows 7 on my machine with Bootcamp.

However, when I start up Bootcamp Assistent it refuses to partition my HD because it needs to have startup disk with 1 partition formatted Mac OS Extended Journaled. The drive is already formatted like this, so why do I get this error message?

Hopefully someone can help????

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 10:06 AM

19 replies

Mar 15, 2013 10:43 AM in response to Moowriece

I think apple is missing something in the latest update. In order to boot to a driver larger than 2tb, it has to be in gpt mode and not MBr mode. And in order to boot into gpt disks you must be using Efi and not bios. I don't have a large volume but my bootcamp is still booting in bios mode and not Efi. I am not sure if it will only set Efi if the disks are larger than 2tb or OS X is doing some other weird magic.

Mar 15, 2013 12:32 PM in response to Moowriece

That would make some sense. Although a 3 TB drive may work fine via an external enclosure, it may not work for an internal drive due to a controller limitation.

EDIT:

An alternative might be to use a different boot manager than Boot Camp called Boot Runner. This way you could have more than one partition. You could then create an under 2 TB partition for Windows using Boot Runner to manage the switching.

Mar 16, 2013 9:30 PM in response to Moowriece

I have a brand new 27" iMac with the 3 TB fusion drive. Was VERY excited to finally install Boot Camp. Went through the Boot Camp Assistant and it's been frozen for two hours about 1/4 of the way through the "Status: Partitioning Disk" screen. Ridiculous.

Considering wiping the whole drive and starting from scratch as I have a Time Machine backup of everything, but does anyone know why the ONE THING Apple said was going to work with this update actually doesn't work worth a ****?

Any help would be appreciated. Glad I spent $3,000 on the TOP of the line iMac...

RIDICULOUS, Apple. Bring Steve back from the dead so things will start working again.

Mar 18, 2013 10:30 AM in response to stevefromcambridge

The problem is that you can't even let Bootcamp partition your HDD, you can't get passed the error message:

" However, when I start up Bootcamp Assistent it refuses to partition my HD because it needs to have startup disk with 1 partition formatted Mac OS Extended Journaled. The drive is already formatted like this, so why do I get this error message?"

I'm stuck on the same error message....

Mar 20, 2013 11:03 PM in response to Mechmichael

Same here... I reformatted the drive from the recovery partition and installed a fresh copy of 10.8. I tried use the Boot Camp Assistant to partition the clean install and got the same error message about the disk being already partitioned which clearly wasn't the case since it was a completely reformatted, single-partition install.

2010 iMac 11,3 with aftermarket Seagate 3TB Baracuda

Mar 21, 2013 7:30 AM in response to TonyJDLA

Ok, this seems to be a pattern. I have a 2009 iMac 11,1 with also aftermarket Seagate 3TB Baracuda. Hope Apple sees into it. I have now used the workaround at http://dice.neko-san.net/2012/12/how-to-install-boot-camp-on-a-3tb-fusion-drive- mac/ which also seems to work with only a 3 TB drive. But disadavantages are that some of the drive's features (like SMART) are not working and it's less flexible than the native Boot Camp.

Mar 21, 2013 9:31 AM in response to Moowriece

Im in the same boat as GROUP8PRODUCTIONS. I have been trying for 3 days to downlaod the Windows Support Software and it just hangs up for hours and can't get the software. ALSO, I went ahead and partitioned the 3TB HD for Windows without getting the software. Once Bootcamp did this, it now says I have no system disk. I tried both 32 and 64 bit versions of my Windows 7 disk and nothing happens.

I got rid of the Windows partition in Bootcamp and am back to squre one. I have read TONS of posts and not a single one has a fix, or work around that fits this iMac 27. This is rediculous for APPLE to sell me this thing and it not being able to do what it should be doing. Bring back Steve Jobs.

Mac OS X 10.8.3 Bootcamp on 3 TB iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.