Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RAW support for Nikon D7100

When will Apple update RAW file support for Nikon D7100?

Aperture 3, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 3:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2013 10:00 PM

Evanxu,

RAW support is integrated into Mac OS X. When Apple releases an OS update that also includes RAW file support for new cameras all applications that process RAW files are subsequently enabled. As a Nikon user since the D300, I've seen previous RAW file support from Apple for new cameras within a month or two of a new Nikon. It makes sense that Apple most likely releases RAW supoport for Mac OS X in batches, and not every time a new camera hits the market. Since the D7100 began shipping the week of March 18, I don't expect a Mac OS X update that inlcudes RAW file support for the new Nikon until April or May. This is merely the nature of the beast. I only shoot in RAW, so I'll wait on my purchase of the D7100 untill it's supported in Mac OS X.

48 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2013 10:00 PM in response to Evanxu

Evanxu,

RAW support is integrated into Mac OS X. When Apple releases an OS update that also includes RAW file support for new cameras all applications that process RAW files are subsequently enabled. As a Nikon user since the D300, I've seen previous RAW file support from Apple for new cameras within a month or two of a new Nikon. It makes sense that Apple most likely releases RAW supoport for Mac OS X in batches, and not every time a new camera hits the market. Since the D7100 began shipping the week of March 18, I don't expect a Mac OS X update that inlcudes RAW file support for the new Nikon until April or May. This is merely the nature of the beast. I only shoot in RAW, so I'll wait on my purchase of the D7100 untill it's supported in Mac OS X.

Mar 31, 2013 6:06 PM in response to Evanxu

@clintonfrombirmingham

The latest versions of PS and LR including the new ACR don't support the D7100 RAW files. Even the RC versions don't work.

@Evanxu

There is a "quick and dirty" workaround. You can use the free software "exiftool" to change the camera model inside the RAW file to "Nikon D5200". So the files should work with all the programs that support the D5200.

Apr 10, 2013 3:21 PM in response to cakos

Just tried the exiftool workaround hinted by cakos and I'm happy to report I can now see the photo taken with Nikon D7100 on the screen. However, my versions of Photoshop (CS5) and Lightroom (3) couldn't be tricked into believing the picture was taken with a D5200 and refused to open it. The same happened in Apple Preview running on Snow Leopard.

But Preview on Mountain Lion did a better job and opened my .NEF file without any problems so I exported it to .tif and that made it possible to load it in the Adobe programs.

Oh, and this is the command I've used to override the camera model entry in the RAW file:

$ exiftool -Model="NIKON D5200" DSC0001.NEF

Apr 10, 2013 4:11 PM in response to Chris Kobrzak

@Chris :

Your versions of PS and LR can't be tricked with the D5200 hack because they support neither the D7100 nor the D5200.

Meanwhile Adobe published an ACR update for Lightroom 4 and Photoshop CS6 with support for the D7100 RAW files.

The only way to use LR 3 and CS5 with the D7100 RAW files is to use the brand new 7.4 version of the free Adobe DNG Converter and convert all you nef-files into dng-files.

Apr 12, 2013 1:41 PM in response to cakos

@cakos

Thanks for the heads-up about Adobe DNG Converter. I must admit I've never used it before but I've just given it a try and all works fine in CS5 & Lightroom 3, having converted NEFs to .dng files. It took a few moments to convert photos with the average size of around 28Mb but a good thing is DNG is an open source format so there shouldn't be any issues with opening it in the future. Good stuff.

Apr 12, 2013 9:58 PM in response to Evanxu

Just got my D7100 today and have the same problem with Apeture. JPEG uploads look fine, but I like working from my Raw originals as well. Has anyone had any success with Apeture using the workaround Cakos mentions? I notice that Apple is supporting the D5200 profile in its latest OSX release (I'm running 10.8.3), but, as mentioned not for the D7100.

Apr 15, 2013 11:06 AM in response to tabnox

I never waited so long for a RAW update like this time with a D7100 which was released mid of March. I think, Apple is abandoning Aperture sooner or later. The camera is supported now by Adobe LR and ARC, by CaptureOne shortly after arrival, even DxO lists it now. And the first supporting it was OpenSource with RAWtherapee and darktable.

Who was calling Adobe lazy guys? Steve Jobs, wasn't he? And who is now making insane ammounts of money, but not able to update a RAW converter within amonth? Shame, Apple. Totally disappointing!

Apr 16, 2013 3:15 PM in response to Evanxu

I just upgraded Aperture to 3.4.4 and it still DOES NOT offer Nikon D7100 support. I can see the thumbnails properly, but when I import I get the Unsupported Image Format error message.

I've been using Lightroom for over a week now and I'm pretty impressed. So impressed in fact that I might opt into the Adobe Creative Cloud option.

Apr 16, 2013 3:36 PM in response to Evanxu

The free, open-source DNG converter that Cakos mentioned works fine with Aperture.

Just download, convert all the 7100 RAW files in a folder to DNG in one swoop, then open in Aperture. A few of the less-important EXIF items don't appear (focal length does, not the brand name of lense, for example).

Otherwise it is great.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4923

RAW support for Nikon D7100

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.