Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

International Keyboard on MacBook

Living in Europe I still like to use a QWERTY keyboard and get my MACBOOK with English manuals etc. Can anyone verify for me (or reference a web site) that when the option "International Keyboard - English" is listed, that it is indeed the QWERTY Key board similar or nearly identical to the MacBook sold in the USA-- (and not an AZERTY or other keyboard layout).

THANKS!

Steve

eMac 1.25 GHz & PB G4-12 1.5 GHz, Mac OS X (10.3.9), Also a Mac SE running 6.0.4

Posted on May 22, 2006 6:20 AM

32 replies

May 22, 2006 9:03 AM in response to Stephen Schulte2

User uploaded fileif you are ordering on the Apple Store web site in Europe (apart from the UK) you will be presented with three options…

1) Keyboard and Mac OS X (Int'l English)

This states that the keyboard, operating system and manuals will be delivered in International English version. An International English keyboard is, as far as I can tell as I've not noticed a difference, the same as a US English, QWERTY, keyboard.

2) Keyboard (Local) and Mac OS X (Int'l English)

With this option you will get a local version keyboard (based on which Apple Store you use) with the OS and manuals in International English. For instance, if I ordered from my local Spanish Apple Store I would get a Spanish ISO keyboard.

3) Keyboard and Mac OS X

Finally, the keyboard, OS and manuals are shipped in the local language. Again, if I ordered from the Spanish Apple Store I would get a Spanish ISO keyboard and my manuals in Spanish. This is the default option for all stores.

Please note that in reality the language version version of Mac OS X that your computer is shipped with as you will be asked which language you want as the main language when you first turn it on.

May 22, 2006 9:11 AM in response to Alexander Efimenko

I called Apple here in Switzerland and they confirmed
when the MAC OS says Int'l Eng, and keyboard (local),
the keyboard is QWERTY.

I hope they were right -- that's what I ordered.

nope, I'm afraid the info you got was wrong. In the Swiss Apple store, Macbooks are NOT available with a US / QWERTY keyboard. "MAC OS Int'l Eng, and keyboard (local) means just that: you get the international English version of Mac OS and a local (that is a Swiss German) keyboard.
On the other hand, Macbook Pros ARE sold with a US keyboard. In that case, the text says: "Keyboard (US) and Mac OS (Int'l English)".

They're not available when calling either. The sales person will tell you that they'll try to get the US keyboard in, but that didn't work for me, either - I ended up getting a Swiss German keyboard and couldn't exchange it later.

May 22, 2006 9:40 AM in response to Docalex007

That's strange, I just checked to see and they don't
have that option for a qwerty keyboard on the Swiss
online store site. And get this, they offer the OS in
Italian. LOL.

Well, Italian is an official language in Switzerland. And while there's a Swiss Apple Store in French, there isn't one in Italian - so people living in Ticino will order from the other stores.

May 22, 2006 10:08 AM in response to dakis

User uploaded file that option doesn't appear in the Swiss store

I just checked the Swiss Store (I gather it was the Schweiz option in the list of stores) and you're right. No option for an International English keyboard. In actual fact no option for anything but a Swiss-German keyboard. That sort of stinks.

I think you will have to call them up to see if you do have access to this option if you make your order by phone.

International Keyboard on MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.