Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What if i don't want to use internet explorer?

I have IE for Windows 8,but I would rather use my default browser Google to open my Apps that Itunes installed. The Apps automatically open IE and I don't see an option to choose a default browser for those apps.

(Icloud,Photo Stream,Find my Iphone,Contacts)

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, Windows 8

Posted on Mar 26, 2013 2:13 PM

22 replies

Mar 20, 2017 9:11 AM in response to Ferrari05

I know this is an ancient thread but JUST IN CASE you're still wondering, it is possible to do what you want, although not to the system default browser insofar as I know. But I accomplished this with just a little hackery.

1. In your Start menu, right click on one of the iCloud shortcuts and select More > Open File Location.
  2. Right click "Calendar" and choose "Properties"
  3. You'll notice it's targeting a little web launcher with the option "calendar". Select everything before the word "calendar" in the target field and delete it.
  4. Now fill in: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" https://www.icloud.com/#
  5. Make sure you leave the word "calendar" (without quotes) at the end, directly after the # (no space).
  6. Hit OK, and verify you want to perform that as administrator.

As a sanity check, double click the "Calendar" icon just to make sure it works. If it does, feel free to repeat the same process for the rest of the shortcuts in that folder. (One trick one is iCloud Photos, which opens a different utility; you'll do the same thing but you'll have to type the anchor link after the # yourself, which is "photos2".)

That should be it! These will now open in Chrome.

If you use a different default browser, you can probably do the same thing by pointing the shortcuts to that executable instead, as I would think most browsers will accept a URL as a "command line" option on launch.

Mar 27, 2013 4:20 PM in response to varjak paw

The Apps or program icons what ever they are called.. They were installed with the latest update from Itunes.

Forget the ipad part for a moment.

I'm talking about the programs the update installed on my computer.

There are icons like Icloud,Contacts,Calendar,Photostream, and find my iphone.

Contacts for example.. If I click on it then Internet explorer opens up instead of Google Chrome.

I want that to stop and to open Chrome instead,and there is no option for it.

Mar 27, 2013 4:26 PM in response to Ferrari05

Again to be clear about my question..

I said I have windows 8 for a reason.

Itunes recently installed some things on my pc.

Things like Contacts,Icloud,Find my Iphone,and photostream.

Example..

If I click on contacts (on my pc) it then opens IE and not my default browser Google Chrome.

I want it to open Chrome instead and I dont see any options to change that.

Mar 27, 2013 4:32 PM in response to Ferrari05

WWhat you are referring to installed on your computer from iTunes 11 which also included the iCloud control panel giving you these icons that are Internet shortcuts to iCloud.com. You need to change your default browser for your Windows 8 PC to chrome (which is a windows preference nothing to do with apple). If you open chrome on your pc you well see the tools menu in the top right hand corner of your chrome browser, go to settings and you should see an option to make chrome your default browser.

Sep 19, 2013 4:09 PM in response to Ferrari05

I'm sorry, I know the post is too old, but I got the same problem. iTunes installed iCloud in my desktop (WIN 7), and everytime I opened my "contacts" it was open it in IE. I was looking for the main command or Default command. The way I solved this issue is as follow.

1.) in the start menu, write "Internet Options"

2.) in General> Home Page>to create home page tabs:paste the main page you want to use as your Browser" in this case Google Exp:/https://www.google.com/

click in "APPLY, (botton Bottom) and clos this window

3.) Open your browser and GO Settings> and select your Browser default.

......And that's ALL.

😮I do not understand why some people they don't know anything about it keep asking questions, if they don't know how to solve the problem??

I hope this can help somebody else.😉

What if i don't want to use internet explorer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.