Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro 9 - need help with 'Go To Beginning' key assignment.

I preface my question by saying I would think that Garageband and Logic Pro would both use the same key commands for basic commands, and I think they are intended to do so. I have configured my Logic Pro 9 to use commands for the extended keyboard even though I am using a MacBook Pro with small Apple wireless keyboard - I do this because it allows me to use 'Go To Beginning' by using the 'Return' key.

Garageband allows me to use 'home' which is fn left-arrow on the small keyboard and that is fine, but fn left-arrow does not do anything in Logic Pro even though it should act like the 'home' key. Do I need to just use the return key, which does work, to 'go to beginning' while editing in Logic Pro?

Re-assigning 'Go To Beginning' in the keyboard reassignment dialog is grayed out so I am not allowed to enter or change anything in this dialog.

Frustrating when the most simple things do not work in an otherwise complex and wonderful piece of software.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion, 8G RAM

Posted on Mar 28, 2013 2:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2013 2:18 PM

Oh my, Look what I found in a post that Apple should read. This needs to be clarified to save hours of frustration...

Rohan Stevenson1

actually, i've fixed it. after fiddling for ages basically the problem is that you cannot select the key commands by checking the modifier key boxes an entering the the key. you have to choose learn by position or label and press the keys themselves. if you do it this way it will work.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2013 2:18 PM in response to Kenneth Nielsen

Oh my, Look what I found in a post that Apple should read. This needs to be clarified to save hours of frustration...

Rohan Stevenson1

actually, i've fixed it. after fiddling for ages basically the problem is that you cannot select the key commands by checking the modifier key boxes an entering the the key. you have to choose learn by position or label and press the keys themselves. if you do it this way it will work.

Mar 28, 2013 3:19 PM in response to Kenneth Nielsen

Yeah, its whether the key command is registered to the ASCII character number alone or, for example, you could have the + sign at the top of the keyboard as opposed to the one on the number keypad - they could be assigned differently ('Learn by Key Label/Position') and the modifier options that you want to choose are there in front of you.

I'd imagine there are similarities for the most basic operations in Garageband, but there are an awful lot of options in the Logic set - something I should probably get into a bit more myself, to be honest.

Logic Pro 9 - need help with 'Go To Beginning' key assignment.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.