Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

camera not working for macbook air

It's a macbook air A1370, iOS 10.8.3. The build-in camera is not working. Both Facetime and photobooth show that the camera is not connected. I checked the system info, under the usb session, the build-in camera is there. I followed some posts and reset the SMC, not helping.

What should I do?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Mar 30, 2013 8:37 PM

27 replies

Mar 30, 2013 9:07 PM in response to marcus.li

Could you set up a test account (System Preferences > Users and Groups and, after unlocking the preference by clicking the "Lock" at bottom left and entering your password, click the + to add a new account), login with this new account and see if the problem still happens or if it is specific to your main account only.

Mar 31, 2013 7:57 AM in response to marcus.li

User Zlig has set you on the right track, marcus.li!

Use all relevant suggestions from http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2090

(Apple has changed the built-in camera's name on newer Macs from "iSight" to "FaceTime" and then to "FaceTime HD." Regardless of the name of your Mac's built-in camera, the same info and troubleshooting applies.)

Be sure to test more than one camera app in more than one user account. Do NOT use the "Guest" account for this test. If you do not have more than one user account for the testing, create a new one now. (A "Standard" account is all you need for testing.)

If your problem persists with more than one Apple App in more than one user account, use Apple's final "Troubleshooting" suggestion:

"... contact Apple or an Apple-Authorized Service Provider for service."

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.8.3

Jun 3, 2013 7:17 PM in response to Zlig

I face the same problem as well, waking up one day and finding my camera not working, with a similar version of the macbook air. I tried the SMC reset but it doesnt work. Is there a way to re install the camera driver? Apparently after checking the system information, the computer is not detecting the in-built camera so I figured it might be corrupted somewhere. Any advice would be good. thanks!

Jun 4, 2013 7:33 AM in response to tdingsh

tdingsh wrote:... Is there a way to re install the camera driver? ...

Yes. Follow the instructions for reinstalling your Mac OS X. All necessary drivers are automatically installed by the OS X installer.

tdingsh wrote:... Apparently ... computer is not detecting the in-built camera ...

By using your Mac''s (option) > System Information... menu command, you can be certain whether your Mac detects its camera.

When the System Information window opens, click on "USB"under "Hardware" in the sidebar. Then look in the USB Device Tree window pane that opens when you select "USB". Click ALL right-facing triangles ( â–¶) so they point down (â–¼) and reveal all individual items.

If your camera is nowhere in the USB Device Tree window pane, your Mac does NOT recognize the cam.

Resetting the SMC using the instructions for your specific Mac model may restore camera function.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.8.3

Aug 7, 2013 1:27 PM in response to marcus.li

Try this. It worked for me.

With the computer off, using the left side of the keyboard press and hold;

Shift

Control

Option

and the power key for 5 seconds

then let go of them all at the same time

Nothing will appear to have happened- Turn your computer back on and open facetime- YEAAAAH Buddy! Just worked on mine and feel its my duty to tell others. No clue how to post in all. Thanks to a sweet girl named Rachel at Applecare

Sep 24, 2013 9:02 AM in response to marcus.li

Similar problem, but like most things since buying this MacBook Air this summer, the fixes don't seem to work. My camera does work in Facetime and Photobooth, but not in Google + or Skype. It does not show up in the USB list within System Information/USB either. I tried the SMC reset without success a couple of times. It looks like another call into Apple and I assume, another reinstall of the whole OS. I hope it does not mess up my wifi which finally seems to be working.

camera not working for macbook air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.