Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mid 2012 MacBook Pro 13 16GB RAM Upgrade

Im looking at getting at MacBook Pro 13 (Non Retina) i7 model, but it only has 8GB of RAM. I want to attempt the following guide: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2012+RAM/ 10374/1

but im scared it will void the warranty. Will it?

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 3:15 AM

40 replies

Apr 1, 2013 11:26 PM in response to IPad117

I've 16GB of RAM and find that I use most of it much of the time - primarily because I have 4GB in use for Windows 7 Pro 64-bit under Parallels. A restart will free some up - but once I start windows... watch out:

User uploaded file

This is after a fresh restart, with all of my 'necessary' apps open - in a few hours, that 'free' space will diminish to about 400MB and my page outs and swap space will increase.

If only I could have 32GB of RAM in my MacBook Pro...

Clinton

Apr 2, 2013 3:09 AM in response to IPad117

Note the display the clintonfrombirmingham has posted. How does your MBPs RAM usage compare? The fact is Clinton is not representative of the average user so you have to evaluate your needs and determine if more RAM will indeed be beneficial. I suggest that for the overwhelming majority it is not.

However since it is relatively inexpensive, no harm will be done by the increase of RAM but do not expect the results to perform miracles in a performance increase.

Ciao.

Apr 2, 2013 3:46 AM in response to IPad117

No, installing RAM (and hard drives/SSDs) doesn't void your warranty - in fact, here's the Apple Support page that actually walks you through the process -> http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1270?viewlocale=en_US.

If you haven't already received the 'gift' just make certain that the giver knows the exact specifications for your model.

Clinton

Apr 2, 2013 3:49 AM in response to IPad117

I was not referring to any RAM manual, but your Macbook Pro manual. Since I do not have the latest one I can only reference mine and all the manuals for the three MBPs that I have give instructions on RAM replacement which indicates that it does NOT void the warranty (200, 2010, 2011) but only on the RAM. If in the process of swapping the RAM you damage the MBP, then that damage will not be covered by the warranty.

I too have 16 GB RAM in the 2011 MBP so that gives me bragging rights, but the important point is that the cost was about $90. A couple of years ago the cost would have been over $1000. Since it is very rare that I use more than 8 GB RAM, an increase would have been fiscally unsound two years ago, but at current prices the increase can be justified far more easily.

Based on what Clinton has described over time, his MBP installation looks like an octopus with the various paraphernalia attached to it. 'Normal' users might have one or two items attached (I usually have none) which suggests that there would be less demands on the MBP. If one chooses to keep many applications open, then additional RAM can be useful, but note that is under the users control.

Ciao.

Clinton, regarding the 'average user', you can take it any way you want to, I simply will keep that point confidential. 😁

Best regards.

Mid 2012 MacBook Pro 13 16GB RAM Upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.