Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sorting folders before files in finder. Help!

So far I have learnt that I can navigate to InfoPlist.strings and alter the code via the terminal, however the code I found was different than the one I found on the website(http://www.howtogeek.com/67100/force-your-mac-to-put-folders-on-top-of-files-win dows-style/). I have been trying to convert the code I have from binary to mxl with no luck, so I'm not sure how to proceed. I have a Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 so I'm not sure if the coding is different or what. Basically, I'm just trying to force my folders to be above my files in finder. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Apr 2, 2013 9:33 AM

63 replies

Apr 2, 2013 11:14 AM in response to Celine Cullen

You should never alter system files, and since most are now code signed (code signing is a security technology so that the system can detect any change to an app) this won't work anyway. The Finder sorting is based on the Unicode Collation Algorithm, and placing a space at the beginning of a folder name will move it to the beginning of the list.

Apr 2, 2013 11:29 AM in response to Celine Cullen

What editor are you trying to look at the strings file? TextEdit won't work you'll need something like TextWrangler a free editor see Bare Bones Software | TextWrangler

But as red_menance wrote doing this is really not a great idea. For one each tie you upgrade you'll have to repeat this and second if you mess up you could make the system unusable, Make sure you backup the original file before you attempt to edit it.

Aug 4, 2013 9:10 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Frank Caggiano wrote:

You just add the space to the <string>Folder</String> NOT to the <Key>Folder</Key>

As I wrote before though TextEdit won't do this (at least it doesn;t for me) you'll need something else.

Unless you really know what you're doing, and would recognize "when/if" this change causes a bug to show up in some application you're running, then I wouldn't recommend this change. It's changing something that is pretty primative (and axiom) in the system.

Instead, you might find that the following method gives you 90% of what you're looking for, without hacking library files.

Try this and see if you like it:

Right-Click on each folder, and change the "Label" (the color) to blue (or whatever color is pleasing to you):

User uploaded file

Then, while looking at Finder in the Detailed mode (the one that has columns at the top you can sort by), Right-Click one of the column headings and add the "Label" as a column.

User uploaded file

Now, sort by Label.

User uploaded file

As I said, this gives you probably 90% of what your looking for (what Windows has).

When you sort by Label, the secondary sort (after grouping by label) seems to always be by filename.

This solution does allow other sorts (like reverse filename, or by date modified) in conjuction with the label sorting.

Lastly, I know it's a bit tedious to put a blue color (label) on every folder.

That could be somewhat automated (I'll probably write an alias in my Terminal command shell). Maybe somebody with more programming skill than me, can write an Automater script that will find all the sub-folders in the current Finder window, and change them all to Label=Blue.

Aug 4, 2013 2:35 PM in response to cwebber1

You're right modifying the plist file like I showed is not for the faint of heart. You need to know what you are doing and be prepared to accept the consequences.

Having said that I have been making this mode to every OS X system I have run since at least Leopard and never run into any problems. Of course past success is no guarantee of feature success but on the scale of system mods you can make I rate this one as pretty safe.

Is there a specific bug/application that you have run into? It would be good if you would share that information with us.

You're suggestion of using colored labels is good for people that do not want to patch system files but as you have said it does have drawbacks.

With the new OS coming out they have added tagging to files hopefully they have made this feature (sorting folders to the top of the list) availabel in some official way.

regards

Dec 11, 2013 11:30 PM in response to Celine Cullen

Really guys, there is no solution for this ?

I just start to use my first mac in my life, but I discover more and more inconvenience in functionality like this, where Windows shines and certainly thinks ahead.

Other thing is you have to use combination of keyboard shortcut to perform the same simple thing as Home, End, PgUp, PgDn buttons do in Windows and the keyboard doesn't give a clue where you have to type the characters \, |, {, }, [, ], etc which is commonly used in writing program code.

Dec 12, 2013 4:26 AM in response to tanaya_yt

If you switch to Column view and sort by Kind, all your folders will appear in a separate section at the top (in Mavericks for sure, and probably earlier systems as well). Also, full sized keyboards have Home, End, PgUp, and PgDn buttons which work more-or-less like they do in WIndows; laptops lack those keys for space considerations.

But more to the point, if you like Windows, use WIndows. You can install Windows on intel macs without much trouble. People who are acclimated to OS X generally prefer it to Windows and would be annoyed if it started acting like Windows, but to each their own.

Dec 12, 2013 5:21 AM in response to twtwtw

But more to the point, if you like Windows, use WIndows. You can install Windows on intel macs without much trouble. People who are acclimated to OS X generally prefer it to Windows and would be annoyed if it started acting like Windows, but to each their own.

Emphasis on the word "where" in twtwtw's post, "...where Windows shines".

For most people, Apple is much better overall. I think what the people here are saying is that there are a handful of missing functions (or overly-complex implementations) in the Apple OS, that are making their overall experience with Apple quite annoying. That that these missing functions would be presumably simple to implement in the OS (Microsoft did it a long time ago on a 386), yet go missing for years.

Off the top of my head, my short list would be:

• Directories group before Files regardless of sort in Finder. (Maybe a simple .plist option to enable 😉)
  • Ability to open/close hierarchy when saving bookmark (a flat list is too big). IE does a great job with thier side-bar.
  • A way to turn-off the artificial intelligence in some applications, like when I title a calendar event 1PM Dentist (I want the 1PM to show up in the title).
  • A mouse cursor that I can actually see in Terminal when I have a dark background.
  • Ability to see the mouse cursor over italic fonts (broken in several apps like Adobe and Word).
  • More contrast (and color) in the basic windows, menus, applications in general. I find it hard sometimes, depending on the lighting, to distinguish between a normal button and a grayed-out inactive button.

No doubt, people are liking Apple better than Microsoft. Millions converting Microsoft to Apple, but hardly anybody goes the other way. But that doesn't mean that these frustrations deserve any less credit or response. Hopefully, if enough people will flag these inconveniences, they may just get addresses.

Sorting folders before files in finder. Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.