Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro won't load the login page of Wifi Hotspots... Any idea why it is so? :)

Hello!

I recently bought a Mac for my studies, and I'm already starting to regret it! I have to deal with a huge problem : I can't connect to any of the 3 Wifi Hotspots at College :

When I try to connect, the computer will detect the network, seems to connect to it but always fails to reach the login page of the Hotspot. (When I open chrome or Safari, There's a message telling me that I'll be redirected to the authentification page but it always ends with a "connection timed out" message.) Therefore, no acces to Internet.

This problem must come from my Mac. Every other device (including my IPhone) will successfully reach the Internet! I tried to change DNS addresses, didn't work either. I tried to reach the login page directly entering the IP address of the routeur, found in the Network Preferences... Failed again!

One last thing : even if it isn't perfectly stable, I can connect at home to my Box.

Any ideas? Thanks for your help!

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Apr 8, 2013 2:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2014 3:14 AM

Simple stuff forget all the other fixes,

Here's what you do

once connected to the wifi and have the wifi icon next to signal, open safari, and type http://192.168.1.1,

Press Go/ search

this is the default address to communicate to router, then you will be redirected to login page

Problem solved!!!!!

26 replies

Jul 1, 2013 4:20 AM in response to Eraai

One possibility is that you have specified DNS servers in your Network preferences. (Network Preferences -> Advanced -> DNS, see if anything is specified.) If so, you want to create a new network location which doesn't have any DNS servers defined. (Network Preferences -> Location -> Edit Locations.) Create a new one (click the + sign), and use that location when logging on to public WiFi hotspots.

The other (and worse) problem might be a security feature added to OS 10.7.2 and higher versions.

Apple found out that a hacker could fool you into accepting a bogus "update" via a fake Software Update pop-up. The fix was to rig the OS so that, when you connect to a wifi network, a Mac running the new and improved OS will silently "phone home" to an IP address at apple.com, and inquire about the hotspot's certificate. If it fails to get back a message declaring the hotspot's certificate to be valid, it assumes that the hotspot login popup is fake, and won't let you proceed. The permanent solution is for the hotspot's "captive portal system" to allow Macs to connect to the Apple host, so that the OS can do the verification. Most public WiFi systems have made the adjustment, but there are quite a few (including many schools) who are behind the curve. If this is your issue, tell whoever runs the network to get with the program!

While waiting for that to happen, you can always copy the login page url from a PC (or older Mac OS) that is able to access the hotspot, paste it into your address bar, and take it from there. (Truncate the url at the first question mark . . . the ? and all the junk that comes after it are likely to be specific to the machine you copied it from. You'll see a fresh bunch of junk materialize, as the site talks to your Mac.)

Apr 6, 2014 7:09 AM in response to Eraai

Hi

I have tried to do everything that was outlined above, nothing seems to have worked. I am having the exact same problem as Eraai. At university, none of the three wifi connections is working for me. On the first day, after an hour of trying, it finally worked. The following day, it didn't work again, so I went to a starbucks and it worked at the starbucks. The following day, it didn't work at University or starbucks. I have no idea what the problem is, it seems really idiosyncratic. My iPhone has been working on all connections. Please help!

Apr 6, 2014 8:12 AM in response to SadafNaib

Something that's worked for me - and I'm not sure why - is to use the "Assist me..." button in Network preferences. It does mysterious things that no amount of putzing around with settings can accomplish.

Do you use a WiFi router at home, and does that work reliably? If not, the fact that "sometimes it works", at more than one location, suggests a hardware problem. If the issue is specific to hotspots that require a login, it's much more likely to be a software configuration problem.

Nov 29, 2015 10:04 AM in response to Eraai

When a problem like this occurs, sometimes it is caused by "preconceived notions" from old setups that your Mac does not want to let go of. Use

System preferences > Network > Wi-Fi > ( Assist me ) > ( Assistant) ...

... and set it up again from scratch, including a new, appropriately-named "Location". Answer all the questions, and your answers and some observed characteristics will be stored in the new "Location". Be sure to close the window and Save changes when completed.

When you get somewhere else, do not change the working settings, but set it up again with a new, Appropriately-named "Location" for your new network connection.

If done correctly, you will be able to switch back and forth between sets of settings by selecting the correct "Location" for where you are.

MacBook Pro won't load the login page of Wifi Hotspots... Any idea why it is so? :)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.