Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my Macbook Pro running so slow?

I'm having issues with my Macbook running slow with online programs/browsers. I normally use Chrome but have since deleted it and downloaded it again. Unfortunately the same bodes for Safari too. I have 200 GB+ of free space so that's not it. At times the pages seem to start loading up quickly but the photos or videos are the last to load sometimes taking forever. Any help would be appreciated!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 9, 2013 5:42 PM

22 replies

Apr 9, 2013 5:53 PM in response to Iamspartan12

A slow Internet is hard to diagnose exactly the cause it as there are so many factors involved that might not even be your Mac at all.

Since you have a lot of space, head to System Preferences > Accounts and create a new one and log out and into this new user account.

Use the web, is everything fine or still messed up?

If it's still messed up then it's either your ISP, the router, the Wifi, OS X or bad browser, plugins or a bad system cache.

You'll have to do a process of elimination, take the Mac to other spots, use other devices on the network to isolate the cause.

..WiFi, Internet problems, possible solutions

If the problem goes away, then it's something specific to that other user account.

Run the #12/#13 OnyX routines, and clear Safari caches (reset) hopefully that will resolve it.

..Step by Step to fix your Mac

Apr 9, 2013 6:57 PM in response to Linc Davis

Heck I had a real hard time finding out why my Internet would work one time, then not, then work again.

I tried everything, turned out a branch fell on my cable line outside and pulled it it ever so slightly out of the connection, my TV worked fine, but it drove the Internet wonky as all heck.

Since the line was on my property I was responsible for it, the cable company service stopped at the pole.

So I just stripped the Coax end with a new connector, made the line stick extra far out, hit it with sandpaper for good measure and she worked fine ever since. 🙂

But it took three days to find the issue, I didn't have a tester and sure as heck wasn't going to shimmy the pole.

May 22, 2013 6:47 AM in response to Iamspartan12

I am having the same problems as well.

It's not the connection. I have other computers on the same network doing just fine.

I'm running 10.8.3, and have noticed my machine becoming slower over the past few months.

Again, this has nothing to do with the internet connection you other people!

My guess is the problem is related to Apple's "icloud" and/or a software update.

I will tell you it's very annoying and near impossible to find any help. For instance, you will see responses telling you about a tree limb and an internet connection. Argh! People get a brain.

May 22, 2013 7:08 AM in response to Laremalla

Laremalla wrote:

I will tell you it's very annoying and near impossible to find any help. For instance, you will see responses telling you about a tree limb and an internet connection. Argh! People get a brain.

The issue is complicated as there are so many factors involved, however I've tried to create a User Tip here to break down the mess into more managable portions.

Diagnosing network issues

Everyone is looking for a "quick fix", but basically all that can be done is trying many different things and hoping one of them is the problem.

As always one can call in a local professional who can spend hours at the house doing the same thing and not finding the problem neither.

If you can find one that won't charge if they can't find it, then go for it. But be prepared to pay a lot more if they do find it.

May 27, 2013 6:27 AM in response to Iamspartan12

I "bit the bullet" and moved over to complete Mac system...to get away from Windows baloney........upscale macbook pro, double 27 inch thunderbolts...and now..I am beginning to regret the transition. It is NOT the internet connection, as slowness appears even when using Adobe Acrobat Pro to work with PDFs, or Word for Mac......i.e. a disk based file. So bad that I have to reboot often. Now, the very fact that a reboot is required to even continue work testifies to the fact that this is operating system stuff.....I regret making the multi thousand dollar change to apple at this point.

Donald

Jun 1, 2013 10:41 AM in response to hannahgirl

hannahgirl wrote:

I agree after updating to OS X 10.8.3 a week or so I experience my computer running slow. The thing is my computer has 1TB, 457.38GB free hard drive space and 8GB RAM also there isn't any viruses I have "Mackeeper" protecting my macbook pro. Apple need to fix this problem! I'm a designer and I need my computer to be at it's full potential.

Protecting your MBP from what? There are no OS X viruses. Uninstall Mackeeper and every other "virus" checker you have installed, repair permissions and restart your computer.

Check out User Tip: Viruses, Trojans, Malware - and other aspects of Internet Security and Mac Malware Guide.

User uploaded file

Jun 1, 2013 11:00 AM in response to hannahgirl

@hannahgirl

It's generally better to start your own Topic, rather than adding onto an existing one.

Please start a new topic about your issue so it can receive more focused attention.

======================

It would help us to know which comp model you have, which OS & version you're using, how much RAM, etc. You can have this info displayed on the bottom of every post by completing your system profile and filling in the information asked for.

This will help in providing you with the proper and/or correct solutions.

User uploaded file

Jun 7, 2013 4:46 PM in response to Iamspartan12

Iamspartan12 I was having the exact same problem you are having. I tried everything, all the normal "house keeping type stuff". I DL'd Onyx, iAntivirus, Bitdefender etc. It seemed like everytime I used my computer it got slower. The spinning beachball just became a normal thing. Then I stumbled upon this thread. Once I read the comment from Linc Davis. I DL'd and ran "Namebench". I then cleared out all my old DNS servers, entered in the three best from Namebench. And now it's like I have a new machine. I hope this helps you. Good Luck.

Why is my Macbook Pro running so slow?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.