Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't FaceTime work with one specific contact?

I cannot find an answer to this problem.

My girlfriend has an iPhone 4S. She is able to FaceTime anyone she wants, except me.

I have the new iPad and an iPhone 5. I am able to FaceTime anyone I want, except her.

We have tried virtually everything. It will not connect whatsoever from either of my devices or from hers. When we dial, it just rings on the dialer's end but not the other. It doesn't show a missed call because from the one being called's end, it never shows as even being attempted.

This was an issue when I had sprint. But now we both have Verizon. However, it still just doesn't work whatsoever. I am able to FaceTime via my iPad with anyone else. This is very frustrating and the only suggestions I'm getting are to make sure FaceTime is on in the settings, time and date are correct, etc etc.

These are good suggestions, but I can quite literally FaceTime with my parents for a half hour, and then immediately try my girlfriend and still have no luck.

Please someone help!

Thank you to my future hero

iOS 6.1.3, iPhone 5, the new iPad, iPhone 4S

Posted on Apr 9, 2013 10:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2016 7:12 PM

I'm having difficulties FaceTime my girlfriend , I can FaceTime everyone else but not her I've tried everything but still no luck. When I do FaceTime her shows a black screen with no sound , help please I really appreciate it

17 replies

Dec 27, 2015 1:13 PM in response to MeerPat

I am also having the same issue. I have been living in Germany for the past 5 months and everyday I have talked to my mom on FaceTime. Starting on Christmas day, we have not been able to get past "connecting...". I have been able to call other people with my iPhone using FaceTime and hers is also working to call other people. I have tried to create another contact as suggested above, and we have no luck. We are both using Wifi in our homes when we talk. We both have iPhone 5C. HELP!!

Apr 9, 2013 11:28 PM in response to MeerPat

Hi,

I had the same problem a while ago. I had one contact that I could only Facetime using an e-mail address. The phone number refused to work. What fixed it for me was to change the contact's number to the international format. For example: South Africa's international code is +27. All phone numbers in South Africa start with a 0. This 0 should be excluded. So if the mobile number you want to Facetime is 010 123 4567 you should add it to your contacts as +27101234567. Since I changed the numbers to the international format in my contacts I have had no problems.

As a side note, this also fixed a similar problem I had with iMessage.

Hope this helps.

Apr 10, 2013 3:29 PM in response to jamieryan157

Thank you for the response, but it did not work for me. She and I are both 314 area codes (St. Louis, MO). It wouldn't even dial out. I entered the number into her contact exactly as you said so it looked like this:

+27 (314) xxx-xxxx

It didn't dial on either my phone or from my iPad.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? Like I said, I'm able to do it with others, but its just the one contact it isn't working for

Apr 10, 2013 10:21 PM in response to MeerPat

Hi MeerPat,

You misunderstood my original post. +27 is the country code of South Africa. You must use the US code.

The only other thing that I think of that you can try is to delete your girlfriend's phone number from your phone and your number from hers. Then manually dial her number using the iPhone's keypad, let it ring and hang up. Now go the the "recents" list on her phone. Tap the little blue arrow button to the right of your number, scroll down and choose "add to existing contact". Do the same on your phone.

As a work around until you sort this out, you can add your Apple ID's e-mail addresses to Facetime and call each other using those. I could still make Facetime calls using the person's e-mail address while I was figuring out why the phone number would not work.

Hope this helps. 😀

Apr 12, 2013 4:59 PM in response to MeerPat

Ok, have to admit I didn't read all the posts, but I agree with the previous guy about changing the name of your contact. My hubby was multiply listed under his first name, his first name and agency, and then in my ICE.

I had difficulty til I created a new contact (Just used his initials, "DV") and have had no trouble since.

but, your friend's wireless is all working fine?

Jan 20, 2014 3:30 AM in response to MeerPat

Did you get this sorted? I'm having the same problem with an iPad (wifi) trying to reach an iPhone on cellular. Tested connecting to someone else on a different iPhone on cellular and someone else again with an iPad on wifi - that was fine - and the person I'm trying to reach is also able to reach others, so I'm out of ideas.

Apr 29, 2016 3:24 PM in response to MeerPat

Hi. I had the same issue. I was not able to reach one particular person from my facetime. I went to General - Facetime, ticked only one thing ie either the email id or phone number to be reached on, then tried to facetime and it worked! Tick only the phone number or email id. And it should work.

So try doing that. Hope it works.

Why won't FaceTime work with one specific contact?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.