Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 5 keyboard not appearing

Since the iOS 6.1.3 upgrade my iPhone 5 has been failing to display the keyboard when it's needed. Last night on a web page that required a login, I could select the field but no keyboard appeared. Long press didn't show the paste buttons either.

I thought maybe it was a glitch with that website, so reloaded a few times, no joy. I have been able to send text messages OK up until :

Today, I want to send or reply to a text message and no keyboard is popping up.

If I compose a new message I can select from my contacts but there is no way to type a name or number into the To field. And when I have entered a name, I can't type any message.

I rebooted the phone and the keyboard is now appearing when it should (both the website and SMSs) but this is hardly convenient. I'm worried it will happen again and again and again...

Is this a bug in iOS, a random thing that sometimes happens (never happened to me in either my iPhone, iPhone 4 or iPhone 5, before now) or just something weird that nobody else has ever seen?

It looks like this :

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

As you can see, no keyboard!

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Apr 13, 2013 9:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2013 10:04 AM

Try a reset on the phone. Hold the on/off and home buttons together until you see the Apple logo and then release. After the phone restarts, see if it works.

Sorry, I missed where you said the reset fixed it. It is probably a random act, however there could be something wrong with your iOS, a file could be corrupt. If it continues, you can try a restore, first from a backup. If that doesn't correct it, then you can try a restore as a new device. See this support document about restoring iOS software http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414

Message was edited by: ChrisJ4203

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2013 10:04 AM in response to maxfromchippenham

Try a reset on the phone. Hold the on/off and home buttons together until you see the Apple logo and then release. After the phone restarts, see if it works.

Sorry, I missed where you said the reset fixed it. It is probably a random act, however there could be something wrong with your iOS, a file could be corrupt. If it continues, you can try a restore, first from a backup. If that doesn't correct it, then you can try a restore as a new device. See this support document about restoring iOS software http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414

Message was edited by: ChrisJ4203

Apr 16, 2013 7:44 AM in response to maxfromchippenham

I had that problem this morning also. I fixed it by double tapping the home button to open up all of programs that are running and closed the ones that are having a problem by holding on to an app until it starts shaking. Once I opened them back up again, the keyboard came back on the screen. No need for restarting your phone. I hope this helps! (:

iphone 5 keyboard not appearing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.