Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad stuck in headphone mode

ipad is stuck in headphone mode

iPad 2

Posted on Apr 14, 2013 1:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2017 1:52 PM

My iPad ended up with water damage from the rain, and I did not realized this problem until 2 hours later. Many of these answers are saying to use pressurized air. I used an air pump with a needle, like what you would inflate a basketball with, and it worked 2 hours after the incident

28 replies

Sep 11, 2013 4:18 AM in response to xyzer

If you have tried resetting, and all of the other suggestions and they don't work then you might want to consider the possibility of there being some debris or water in your headphone jack which is tripping up the headphone jack sensor. One way of clearing the water out that I saw on a YouTube video and which worked for me was to use a compressed air spray can which is commonly used to clean keyboards and other computer components. Good luck!

Sep 13, 2013 2:43 AM in response to xyzer

I too had this problem. Thought it was due to recent app updates messing with the os but a more simple answer appeared. I had earlier had a slight issue with my dog kicking my coffee while we were both on the bed. A little must have gone into the 3.5mm socket because after trying the multitude of suggestions here, I tried the hairdryer method to disperse moisture.

If I had a compressed air canister, this too may well have worked, but not having one (and I had tried blowing through an empty wire insulation hadn't worked - may well have introduced even more moisture!!!) it seems simply drying the socket worked! 🙂

Mar 26, 2017 10:25 PM in response to xyzer

User uploaded file

Been there, done that.

I know it can be really annoying when you can't hear anything, even when your calls are coming through, music, watching videos on YouTube or whatever.

I can't remember how many times my iPhone got stuck in Headphones mode but it was a lot.

All those times I have relied on this quick and simple ways to help me get my iPhone fixed. 🙂

13 Simple Ways to Fix iPhone/iPad Stuck in Headphones Mode

1. Try removing your iPad’s case

Most of the time, it could just be that your iPad’s case could be blocking the pathway to the audio jack, which then causes your iPad to remain stuck in Headphones mode.

2. Turn your iPad off and back on again

Even if you find that you remove your iPad’s case and it still remains stuck in Headphones mode, then what you can do is turn your iPad off and back on again to make sure that the problem does not lie in your software.

3. Plug in and out your headphones a few times

One thing you should make sure when you plug in, is you should be able to hear the audio clearly on your headphones.

Once you are pretty sure it works all great, only then should you slowly stop the audio, clear your history (by double tapping your home button and make sure no background apps are running) and then firmly plug out your headphones.

4. Go AirPlane Mode

Step 1: Go onto your iPad and then swipe up from the bottom of your Home screen to open your Control Center.

Step 2: Then tap Airplane Mode

You can also go to your iPad’s settings and turn it on there as well

5. Use a Bluetooth speaker

When you connect your iPad to a Bluetooth speaker or headphones, your iPad will recognize the Bluetooth device and will also know when you disconnect it (since you’re not unplugging it manually which can sometimes be confusing to your iPad).

6. Change your iPad’s Settings

7. Clean inside your iPad’s Headphone jack

Read more at Saint

May 15, 2014 9:13 AM in response to xyzer

I had this issue today, and nothing on the forums was helping me. I did multiple reboots and even updated it.

I eventually resorted to online chatting with support on the apple website.

As I was typing out my problem, the sound suddenly started working again!

I think it just needed multiple actions to recognise the sound needed.

So my advice is to go on to something (possibly notes) and type continuously for a few minutes :)

Hope this helps someone out!

ipad stuck in headphone mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.