Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to "Quit Dashboard Client" ?

Today I was offered an update to "Adobe Flash Player", but there is an insurmountable problem. In order to complete installing the update, Adobe insists that I must "Quit the Dashboard Client". I tried removing the "Dashboard" icon from the dock, and I even tried going into "Applications" and trying to temporarily move the "Dashboard" application to the "Trash"(Apple won't let you do that), and it seems that there is nothing that I can do that will satisfy Adobe's requirements.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Apr 18, 2013 11:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2013 11:40 AM

See if it might be one particular item in Dashboard that the Adobe installer is objecting to and just remove it. I don't know if this works in 10.7 or not, or if it will disable whatever the Adobe is objecting to, but to disable Dashboard open Terminal in Utilities and copy/paste.

defaults write com.apple.dashboard mcx-disabled -boolean YES

hit return, then copy paste

killall Dock

hit return

If you ever want it back

defaults write com.apple.dashboard mcx-disabled -boolean NO

killall Dock

EDIT: you should be able to move Dasboard.app to the trash (and use File>Put Back later.) What happens when you try? Removing the icon from the Dock is meaningless. It's just an alias to the application.

Yeah, great suggestion from the thread Paul linked. Open Activity Monitor and quit it (force quit maybe necessary) there. Might need a restart or log out and back in to get it going again.)

Message was edited by: WZZZ

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2013 11:40 AM in response to dinosaur56

See if it might be one particular item in Dashboard that the Adobe installer is objecting to and just remove it. I don't know if this works in 10.7 or not, or if it will disable whatever the Adobe is objecting to, but to disable Dashboard open Terminal in Utilities and copy/paste.

defaults write com.apple.dashboard mcx-disabled -boolean YES

hit return, then copy paste

killall Dock

hit return

If you ever want it back

defaults write com.apple.dashboard mcx-disabled -boolean NO

killall Dock

EDIT: you should be able to move Dasboard.app to the trash (and use File>Put Back later.) What happens when you try? Removing the icon from the Dock is meaningless. It's just an alias to the application.

Yeah, great suggestion from the thread Paul linked. Open Activity Monitor and quit it (force quit maybe necessary) there. Might need a restart or log out and back in to get it going again.)

Message was edited by: WZZZ

How to "Quit Dashboard Client" ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.