Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I've installed an app from the app store and the author's distribution certificate expires, my app will still run or not? Thanks a lot.

If I've installed an app from the app store and the author's distribution certificate expires, my app will still run in my device or not?

For example in the case that the author won't renew the certificate itself, i guess his app will be removed from the app store; but what happens to the apps installed in the devices?

Thanks a lot.

iPhone 4

Posted on Apr 20, 2013 5:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2013 5:37 AM

The author's certificate is only used to authenticate the author when the app is uploaded to the app store.

The app is then signed by Apple before being added to the app store.

Nothing will happen to your app except you won't get any updates.

Evertually, iOS upgrades could stop the app from working if you upgrade iOS beyond what the app supports.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2013 5:37 AM in response to giurobrossi

The author's certificate is only used to authenticate the author when the app is uploaded to the app store.

The app is then signed by Apple before being added to the app store.

Nothing will happen to your app except you won't get any updates.

Evertually, iOS upgrades could stop the app from working if you upgrade iOS beyond what the app supports.

If I've installed an app from the app store and the author's distribution certificate expires, my app will still run or not? Thanks a lot.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.